Home Technical Talk

Cant Stop Symmetry in Maya 2014/13

I have no idea whats going here.. I just downloaded Maya 2014 because I hated 2013 and was hoping 14 would be better.. I was having this issue with 13 where I cant get maya to NOT do symmetry when moving a vert around.. Its so frustrating.. I have to use 2012 because it doesnt have this issue.. but I would love to know how to fix it.

It does it most all of the time, but sometimes it will actually work correctly.. I go to select one vert and when I move it, another vert on the other side of my object moves as well?!?! Its not selected or anything.. and I saw this new modeling toolkit where you can do symmetry but Ive turned that off and it still acts up.... Also the verts move in opposite directions.. I am so frustrated..

In 2013 it would do somewhat the same thing, but it would actually select both verts even though I only selected one.. and wouldnt let me de-select the one I didnt want to move...

Any Ideas?? Any help would be great.. Thanks :poly127:

Replies

• Pirate_
    Have you considered that Reflection might be turned on? To check this, follow these steps.
    Go into Vertex mode (RMB)-> vertex. Click a vert on your mesh.
    Double click your Move Tool to bring up the tool settings. Scroll down and turn off reflection.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Well, just sounds like you have Reflection on for your Move Tool?
    Double click on the Move Tool icon to open the Tool Settings panel, scroll down and make sure Reflection isn't checked.
    Otherwise the quick way to turn it on/off is to press and hold "w" then left-click-hold and drag upwards quickly (goes through to the Reflection marking menu and turns it on/off), that's also how people sometimes activate it by accident.
  • SwampCat84
    Ahhhhhhh.... Thanks SO much... That was the prob.... Im sure I did it by accident at some point... ;)