Home Dota 2

Exporting Headaches

jettatore
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
jettatore polycounter lvl 14
Any solutions greatly appreciated. Pics included.

I have been having a myriad of problems exporting to DOTA 2, the current main issue I am facing is weird artifacts in game. I've made a very simple test to show this effect, pictures attached. The UV's are dead simple, planar XY uv's, scaled down a bit so their is bleed room around the edge on a simple 8x8 grid object.

I've got two weird issues here. 1 the banded/ specular lighting is completely odd and their isn't anything like what you see going on in the nearly blank mask maps. And 2 at the right angles, you can see some sort of artifact approximately where every other UV and or Geo row would be.....

I can't figure this out, happening on every item I test to export. I've tried exporting from Softimage (with really bad rigging results) and more successfully from Maya via FBX but this problem still persists though rigging seems sorted.

This problem aside, who is having the best luck exporting to game with what software and which version number of said software/plug-ins and what is your process, this is really holding me back as exporting has been on on-going issue and total Achilles heal on my end. Sorry for the long post, thank you in advance.

Replies

• Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Maya 2012 FBX 2013.3

I'm not really sure what the issue is here but if I remember correctly, Dota mipmaps textures when they're barely visible to the camera such as a turned angle like this.

As for the artifacts occurring on the polygon rows, my best bet is that it's got something to do with the face normals/smoothing and how it interacts with the normal map.

Try making a sphere, sculpt some shapes into it, bake a normal map and occlusion map which you can use as a diffuse map and test with that since it's much more representative of the workflow.