Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

JagdLuther - dust tactics 3D model

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
Hi I want to present you my fresh model. I did it to add another brick to portoflio and find a job. Model is based on tactical miniatures game model - jagluther I gonna attach it in the end of my post. What else to say model have 49 k [WIRE] triangles, because I wanted to add a lot of geometry for every detail. I did it using max, ddo, and photoshop. Textures are 4k. I would like to know your opinions (and maybe find some clues where to search a job etc.)

NEW PICTURES

YHCyASL.jpg
xWn4bxu.jpg
i5U6YKc.jpg
nN6q9x9.jpg
EkAE0Hl.jpg
DuKCN4W.jpg

OLD ONES

BWdQcxJ.jpg

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Sliterin, maybe a little more rusting on the lower half?

I showed it to Paolo and he was impressed too. Great stuff. :D
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. wrote: »
    Hey Sliterin, maybe a little more rusting on the lower half?

I showed it to Paolo and he was impressed too. Great stuff. :D

Good tip with that rust. I even knew why you wrote about it - reference. Nice that you like it I appreciate that a lot. I need to say that dDo is creating many layers and stuff same as I do without that program so it's giving me like another hand to work, that I feel like my own :D. Hope that gonna help me with finding work.

btw. I love your pigface in folio (saw that earlier on poly)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    When I look at the upper half I really like it, texturing looks really good, but something about the leg design makes it feel block outish, the design is already there so nothing to be done about it, as seth already pointed out, giving a bit more rust to the legs might do it.
  • 4f6f3b
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4f6f3b polycounter lvl 4
    It's looking good. One thing that really stood out to me was how uniform the edge wear is all over the model. I think it'd help a lot if you went back and edited the masks so it doesn't look so obviously ddo generated. :)
  • Logithx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logithx polycounter lvl 5
    The uniform edge-wear has dDo written all over it. You should change it so that it only occurs in areas that would actually wear out from contact with other surfaces.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    looks really nice, only thing i gotta say is the edge wear is wayyy too uniform. overall awesome work!
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for feedback I really appreciate that. I did some tweaks like adding handmade rust and rusty spots, some dust and cleared most annoying dDo mistakes. What else to say I look forward for your response and here you go new pack:

YHCyASL.jpg
    xWn4bxu.jpg
    i5U6YKc.jpg
    nN6q9x9.jpg
    EkAE0Hl.jpg
    DuKCN4W.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks sweet, presentation is nice aswell. You could maybe try one shot with a strong directional light, yours is really even, usually does great work on complex geometric shapes

Also, the green cloth stands out a little negatively because it is not apparent on anything else. It would balance a lot better if you bring back that tone somewhere else again. The green visor would play in the same tone, but the visor uses a blue-ish green, which is the opposite of the green you used for the cloth

Id also enjoy 1-2 more decals in form of text,numbers or wehrmacht logo (theres nothing wrong with the german army logo) those help a lot conveying a mood and background
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, presentation is marmoset skyshop great tool. If I had possibility to use directional light I would try, but I don't have :(. If you know how to set materials in marmoset toolbag same as skyshop I would be greatefull, then I could add directional lights, flares from torch etc.

About other stuff I would like to hear some info from other persons aswell, because I can gather all information then, choose best and then try one after one on model. Anyway I tried to not use afrika korps signature, so I would wait for other voices about that thing. About numbers etc I tried it before and it isn't looking as good as I want it, so I just removed them. If I gonna do some another upgrades I will try for sure that green idea , it's sounds good.

Ty for feedback.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I think the model looks nice. You've picked a nice project there and textures look good.

One thing that I'm not a fan is the high polycount. I would say its ok to have such a high polycount for a heropiece in the next gen. But keep in mind that most forms don't need much triangles to be modeled. I would say 4/5 of you triangles are spend on tiny details that don't add to silhouette or can only be seen from very close. I think bolts, rivets, screws and the like should rather be in your normalmap, unles they are placed on very prominent area and will be easily noticed. So I'd say the reference you've picked isn't the best to aim for a 50k triangle count.

Compared to the Mech from Snefer which was presented in Vertext HD 1 your reference is much simpler in form and detail, although both use the same polycount. I think yours could easily fit into 20 - 30 k without sacrificing many details. Just because 50k triangles might be a realistic next-gen tri-count doesn't mean you have to meet it, when the references doesn't need that much to be represented.

Last Point: Did you do a cockpit with controls and stuff. Can you show some images o the interior.
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I think you're right because even in the middle of work I thought it's little too much, but didn't wanted to do it again I had enough problems with max bug - materials added about 800 mb to every file, which make it run miserable and I found it out when project was almost over. About tricount compare to snefer work - here is Snefer.

I am here :DDD, right now I am looking for my first work and he is one of the best. Nah I didn't did conckpit , and hadn't any references for it. If I had those I propably would do it. Thx for detailed feedback, I appreciate it.
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
    Wow that is looking really great man! I love the style :)
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I know what you mean. But no matter where your current skills are it is always a good idea to take a look at the works of people that are (far) beyond your current skill level. Try to analyse the work, try figure out how they did things and why. This way you can improve much faster and you learn about problems before you run into them.

You are definately on the right track with your work for your first job. So just keep on your work.