Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female head sculpting attempt

diana-berg
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
diana-berg polycounter lvl 3
So, we've just started learning Zbrush in school, and I've been having loads of fun. I decided to sculpt a head and played around a lot in the process. I wanted to give it a very simple rig to move around the shoulders and head with, but that didn't turn out too well so I just deformed the mesh.

Feedback is welcome, on both technical aspects and anatomy/form. I might use this model to try to make a lowpoly from later, but I have a feeling it might turn out quite disatrous...

tumblr_mt0k332lzj1rs3z2wo1_1280.jpg

Replies

• Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looks pretty cool, especially if you are Zbrush beginner. =)
    The sides of the nose might be a little too flat, it seems to lack some of the subtle forms tha you can find here:
    http://anatomy4sculptors.com/?menu=9&sub=22#body
    Also the border of the lips might be a little too sharp, and we can't give you feedback on the part hidden by the hair. =)
    But the neck, clavicles and shoulders looks quite off, for the neck area this looks quite okay
    http://anatomyproartifex.blogspot.fr/2011/05/anterior-neck-theme-and-variations.html
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Abrvpt: Dude, that site is un-freakingbelieveable! Great find, and thanks for sharing!!! :D

Abrvpt, pretty much mentioned everything I noticed, except that the ears are way too far back. The colored version almost looks lowpoly because some of the areas are so sharp (in places you really don't want it to be). The chin, the jaw line, the lips. Anyway, she has a lot of character and I really like her. Would be cool to see you work on this some more to see how much of a difference the anatomical fixes would make. Very impressive for being new to zbrush, and as an artist in general!
  • diana-berg
    Offline / Send Message
    diana-berg polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you! Abvrpt, those sure are some sweet resources! I was trying hard to avoid the too-smooth look that the smooth tool easily achieves, so I made an effort to get some sharp edges. It does look kinda low-poly.

I did put way too little time into the neck/chest area. I'm glad most of the neck is hidden by the hair, haha. I'll try to think more about the ears next time. I've noticed I tend to make them too small, also.

I'm excited to move on and make more stuff in Zbrush, using what I've learned. I'll keep your feedback in mind, thank you very much! :D

Here is another sculpt I made in the same day, as a quick challenge with my classmates. Took 1,5 hrs in total.

tumblr_mt1y9kV9fl1rs3z2wo1_500.png
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Really solid work for that time, I like that you are adding facial expressions too. I suggest trying a smile with teeth. You would be surprised how challenging it can be to make it look right.