Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Reactor Room

*LATEST UPDATE*

BonnieSin_ReactorRoom_01.jpg

My main objective for this environment is to replace my old one and to learn dDo. It's based off of this concept that I found on http://inspiration3d.tumblr.com/

and according to the little watermark on the image the concept is by Jeremy Love.

Concept Art
tumblr_mkzuelhXBX1s6o4nio1_1280.jpg

My Current In Engine Progress:

ScreenShot00020.bmp

Most of the modelling is done, just need to make a crap load of pipes, finish the computers and unwrapping uvs.

Replies

• balticbuddha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anything, I would say stick to the concept in terms of dimensions - those pillars, in the concept, while futuristic still follow common architecture. Yours give a misleading sense of scale - compare them to the door on the left side. They are huge.
  • THIRD_D4Y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:

Started texturing the scene and redid some of the lighting. I'm absolutely loving dDo so far though i'm still working on going through some more tutorials.

ScreenShot00001.bmp
    If anything, I would say stick to the concept in terms of dimensions - those pillars, in the concept, while futuristic still follow common architecture. Yours give a misleading sense of scale - compare them to the door on the left side. They are huge.

Thanks for the feedback but i'm not following it exactly. The main problem being that when i initially planned to do that I discovered the perspective in the concept was extremely warped despite the abundance of straight lines. Almost every object traces back to a different vanishing point and horizon line.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
    A pipe plugin for maya/max would come in handy here :)
  • THIRD_D4Y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *UPDATE*

ReactorRoom.png

Current scene wireframe
    ReactorRoom_wire.png

Well I finally found some time to update this. I feel like I should make the contrast higher on the spec map for the reactor to really make certain details pop out more. Also, I've managed to finally figure out my texture popping problem when I take screenshots. As for the lighting it's still coming out flat, so I need to work on that.

Here are some lighting paint overs to test out some lighting options.

paint_over1.png

paint_over2.png

paint_over3.png
  • THIRD_D4Y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *UPDATE*

BonnieSin_ReactorRoom1.png

BonnieSin_ReactorRoom2.png

Made some lighting changes updated a number of my textures. Mostly minor changes but i think if gives a bit more colour variation to the smooth metal.

Here are some separate shots of the computer consoles and monitors

BonnieSin_computer_monitors.png

BonnieSin_computer_Consoles.png

Things left to do:

Pipe Textures
    Detailing on some items
    More lighting changes???
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    It's looking pretty cool, and its definietly an interesting piece - one thing I would do is stick to the concept in terms of having the screens be blue - the orange of the panels, while complementing the blue lighting scheme, is a bit to intense and just looks a bit odd.

Personally if I were you, I'd change the screens to be blue and also have a similar lighting to the second paint over you did, where the most intense light was coming from up underneath the generator//machine and the lights from the screens themselves. While it made it a bit darker, it overall had more contrast and things popped much better than they do now. I'm assuming the lighting is WIP, like you said in your post, but right now it seems a bit washed out compared to your previous posts which had more dramatic lighting.

It's definitely coming along good though, the proportions are much better than your first blockout, and the props are looking pretty decent so far :)
  • THIRD_D4Y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I took a break from this to work on an art test but now I'm back with updates!

BonnieSin_ReactorRoom_01.jpg

BonnieSin_ReactorRoom_02.jpg

BonnieSin_ReactorRoomWire.jpg

Redid some UV map layouts and finished texturing (at least until I feel I need to make adjustments after I'm done playing with the lighting and shaders more.) Added some very soft warm lights I think that it helps keeps the blue from being too overpowered in the scene.

@Higuy - My original idea with the orange screens was to to add some more color variations but you're right the blue screens do look better.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    I think the machine is to small. The machine dont dominate the room and so the environment loose a lot of force. In my opinion the machine need 50-100% more size.

Compared to the machine

-the hole in the floor is a to big (grid from the machine marks the diameter)
    - the hole is to low poly (visible edges everywhere)
    - the rivets are a little to big and dominant because the concept rivets are a little smaller and plain so its look a little archaic
    - the edge to the glass inner ring is to deep

The floor grid borders are to bulky and i miss the visible gap between the normal floor.

Your pipes are to small and simple and not interesting. The organic pipes show the puny humans that the machine is the boss in this room and humans foreign bodies.