Home Unreal Engine

Help needed making an interactive computer console in UDK

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
Hi all,

I'm currently completing a project for my portfolio and I need some help. I want to avoid Scaleform if possible as I have zero experience in Flash and Actionscript, and I don't want to have to learn a whole new programming language. If possible, I'd love to work out a way to do this with Kismet.

What I'm after is to have the player interact with a computer system in the world. Upon pressing the Action button, the camera with focus on the console (not just the screen), almost as though it's showing the user's point of view. I then want the player to be able to press arrow keys and the enter/backspace buttons to go through various menus. I don't want the computers to be complicated at all - think like BIOS, very simple design and interaction.

Can anyone suggest a way of doing this that might be possible while avoiding Flash and swf files? It looks like a nightmare. I did think of maybe initiating a boolean value if the player has interacted with the computer, and then having each key-press trigger a different screen material instance. But the combination of this will take forever and I'm not even sure that's possible! The game will have to enter a different state so that the arrow keys work and I don't know if this is possible with Kismet.

Here's an image of the kind of view I mean, and from this fixed camera, arrow keys, enter, and backspace will change through various folders etc.

35jjbbs.jpg

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    It is possible to do this in kismet but it might be a super convoluted workaround ... not that actionscript is any better. Your basic idea is correct -- tons of material instancing and button/keypressed nodes. Actionscript has the advantage of being one contained thing ... but you are going to have to put up with the flash interface. Kismet is going to be a spaghetti bowl of wires and nodes, but it'll probably work and will be easier to debug.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'd approach this with code and a scripted texture. In any case, it won't be a lot of fun.