Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GI-Joe Cobra Battle Tank

The base model of this tank is built on the Cobra Battle Tank. I have started to make some modifications to the tank. Using parts off real world tanks thanks to the awesome supply of references from PrimePortal. The antenna on the rear of the turret were taken from French AMX designs, engine vents on the back came from Russian SU-100 Tank Destroyer and the fuel tanks were inspired from Russian IS4 tanks. I don't have a very good picture of it but suspension is similar to American T-29 prototype. Still got a ways to go on this high poly.

Cobra_Rear_zpsf6afe1a9.jpg

CobraRear2_zpseb15036d.jpg

CobraRear3_zpsfc155c1b.jpg

TurretBack_zps0480cd08.jpg

Turret2_zpsae37dab7.jpg

FrontT_zps63a72acf.jpg

Turret4_zpscf9f1afc.jpg

Replies

• Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
    Looking great man, love it. Hard to find something to crit, hope thats good thing :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The vertical 'teeth' on the tread are much too wide, but I don't know if that's part of the original design. Conversely, the teeth on the drive sprocket should be much farther out, with the teeth falling between individual tracks.
    14M60TankDriveSprocket.jpg
    2Q==
    I'd expect the commander's cupola to rotate, allowing the secondary gun to train & elevate independently of the main gun; at the moment it seems pretty well fixed in place.
  • AmbiguousPackage
    DWalker wrote: »
    The vertical 'teeth' on the tread are much too wide, but I don't know if that's part of the original design. Conversely, the teeth on the drive sprocket should be much farther out, with the teeth falling between individual tracks.
    14M60TankDriveSprocket.jpg
    2Q==
    I'd expect the commander's cupola to rotate, allowing the secondary gun to train & elevate independently of the main gun; at the moment it seems pretty well fixed in place.

Yeah your right about the drive wheel, its how they had it designed on the toy. However yeah it looks very odd, it will most likely get replaced with something a bit more realistic. The more I start adding real tank parts the more the toy parts give it away. Like the second gun on top. Debating taking the second gun out all together but I am wondering it that would take away the Cobra feel, as all their tanks were always just fail in the cartoon.
  • AmbiguousPackage
    Blueprint I was going off for the main shape of the tank.
    cobratank_blueprints_zpse9ccd6b0.jpg
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    fuel cells seem a bit too 'reachable' for a battle tank.
    Check some german tanks,for instance Tiger ones,germans had neat idea about fuel cells positioning(or should i say,hiding them) :)
  • AmbiguousPackage
    Yeah that are very reachable its how the older Russian tanks rolled. Which was a benefit having them exposed that way the inside of the tank would not kill everyone. Was taken from the IS4. I am not 100% sure but they might of been reserve tanks and not hte primary.
    11101_08.jpg

Here are some more shots of the tank.
    TankR2_zps7c1c1582.jpeg
    TankR3_zpse86c286b.jpeg
    TankR1_zps549a6910.jpeg