Home Technical Talk

[UDK] VFX for sci-fi game

Can someone please give me any tips/ guides on how to create hologram, disintegration & freeze effects in UDK?
I have a sci-fi shooter game in mind, and I would like to incorporate the above mentioned effects in it.

I would like to achieve something like these -

Holographic effect - youtube.com/watch?v=6yEH8XYnqZY, youtube.com/watch?v=NlUtC_NJENQ
Disintegration effect - youtube.com/watch?v=eZQ_tEUDZZQ
Freezing effect - youtube.com/watch?v=7qr5oiNn0c4

Replies

• ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    The technical talk forum might be a better place for this.
  • gdebojyoti
    Okay. Thank you for pointing out.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    holographic - material set to additive or transparent or something like that with opacity influenced by a tweaked time node to get the flicker

disintegration - masked or transparent material with an if node that samples through the values of a cloud texture based on a paramter and feeds the result into opacity.

freezing - not really sure what im looking at, doesn't look at lot like freezing really. in any case - probably changing opacity to something more opaque as well as color tweak and an up-vector mask for the snow part. if it has reflections it should probably blur those as well.
    might look cooler if you used a heightmap inspired by snowflakes as a mask between the unfrozen and frozen state. something like that.

should give you something to google for since you don't seem to have a lot of experience with materials in udk and if you don't get anywhere by yourself maybe someone will write something more detailed with pictures and stuff.