Home Unreal Engine

"The Maestros" Art Render Test Scene: Lighting and Set up help

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Hey Polycount:

I'm making what is essentially an art rendering test scene for the rest of the artists on The Maestros team. Blocked out chunks of our RTS Environment art so other artists, if given just the map and the associated UDK packages, can bring in the assets their working on to see if it fits well in the game.

Right now I'm having trouble with lighting the scene, and what good lighting is in in UDK. So overall, the scene still feels relatively flat, even with the various doodads and tiles in there. At the moment we have:

- A dominant light at 1 brightness. (washed out
- 2 Spotlights at around 2 brightness (washed out yellow/orange)
- A couple smaller spotlights that are neon purple that are in the crystals themselves.

gUPE2q0.jpg

Not sure what I need to do to make this look like it's lit better.

Replies

• EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    I for one am no lighting expert, and these are just a few suggestions you may want to try.

I would go with point lights with the appropriate color for the crystals. This way you will get a nice spread of colored light on all surfaces surrounding the crystals.

Are you going with a night scene here? If so add some blueish color to your dominant directional light and adjust the brightness accordingly. Have the light angle mimicking the direction of moonlight.

I'm not sure what the other 2 spotlights are adding to your scene. You may want to disable them until you figure out if you really need them or not.

Give the light on that lantern some emissive love and get it glowing. Add a point light there as well. Those crystals could maybe use a slight glow as well.

Lastly, you may want to add a Lightmass Importance volume if you haven't done so already as well as a post processing effect volume. Hope this helps.
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brightness of 1 is very low for you directional light. If I recall, the UDK map templates come with a light with a brightness of 5, and the UT3 maps have something like that as well. If you're using PBR shaders (which you probably aren't?), you'll most likely have to go for even higher values.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    There are a number of problems (looks like your team could benefit from a lighter) - at present the lighting is very flat and ultimately not doing your environment any favours.

I would:
    1) Define the time of day and adjust the directional light accordingly - this is very important. The rotation of the light, it's intensity and it's colour will allude to the current time of day. At present your light looks quite high (fairly vertical) with a low intensity but whitish lighting - the result is a grey wash out with little variation. For a mid-day scene, you want a much more intense light with either a little bit of yellow or blue depending on your art style. For a later day scene, you want a less intense (but possibly more intense than you have now) much more yellow or orange tinted light, casting at a stronger angle to give longer shadows.
    2) Get rid of the spotlights and point lights, you don't need them.
    3) Make the crystal material slightly emissive and allow that emissive light to be used in lighting calculations.
    4) Bump up the diffuse contribution in your bounce lighting a lot more.

You also have a pallette issues; purple crystals don't compliment the scene well and you'll find purple lighting contributions won't work easily with a lush green background.

Finally, post process. You need to use some basic post processing to adjust the colouring in the scene and help it gel.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    you gotta brighten those crystals up, everything in your scene is the same value. Check out this post by Jeff Parrot:
    linkage

also, yellow-green & purple are complimentary colors ;P but I don't think Ambershee was talking about color theory. I think it can work out if used sparingly, the purple is going to really stand out against the green but not as glaring as red & green, just ask the Joker's wardrobe designer.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene is going to be perpetually in daylight.

Been trying to follow Chris Albeluhn's tutorial for Lightmass and how it works, but making dramatic changes to like Environment Color and what not seem to be doing nothing to change the scene when I bake, and I've done several test adjustments to see if anything dramatically changed, and nothing :(.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7v1Mv8g.jpg

Still playing around with all the sliders and values trying to find some overly dramatic change to the lighting so I know what's going on.

This is just a directional light (at strength 5) in the scene, with emmissive static lighting turned on for the crystals and the lamp, but those aren't really showing up. Is it looking any better? I can't really tell if anything is really changing.
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    Increase the emissive radius and emissive boost in the mesh properties.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Also keep in mind the levels of your textures.

The grass texture, is relatively dark compared to the trees, and makes the scene look rather dull. The dirt is super saturated compared to the rocks. The blue/pink leaves are way brighter than the orange/green ones.

You get my point, make sure your textures aren't working against your lighting.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @m4Dcow: Definitely, the textures across the individual doodad pieces are not unified, but at least within this week (as opposed to fixing this over a longer period of time), I think I have to tackle the texture fixing later as a matter or priority decisions. But I definitely do see the need to fix those.

But are the textures preventing me from seeing any large /good lighting results atm? Hopefully I'm being clear about just wanting to make sure I have a clear understanding of how to get to good lighting in UDK. But I WILL deal with texture issues later (like a month later).
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With a combination of the TF2 Shader copy our Graphics Engineer, Justin Chen, has created and some more light finegling, I think I have gotten something a little bit prettier. Still feels far away though, unfortunately.

Does anyone else have any advice for the lighting adjustments I need to do to make this professional and not feel flat? For sure the texture and assets unity between the current assets are not optimal, hopefully over the coming months we'll be able to fix this.

oN4rJWs.jpg
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    Protip:
    Now your sunlight has about the same angle as your camera, try rotating your sunlight 60 degrees counter clockwise and I am sure you will have more interesting results.