Home Technical Talk

Character modelling question

I am creating a new character and I was wondering if it is recommended to model the eye lids open or closed. I would think modelling the eye lids closed would be recommended as the generated maps would not be stretched when baking and after you can rig your eyes in the open position. Some feedback on this would be great. Thanks

Replies

• Base
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Either way works, but if you make them in the closed position, make sure they're actually separated a bit so you can select the necessary verts.

I don't think baking maps would be effected at all even with them open, unless you're doing extremely high poly and actually have the eyelids folding on themselves or something.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i would recommend closed for baking, even if its not that highpoly, you will get a clean normalmap bake and will avoid the cross projection problem in the fold areas.

if your sculpting it in zb, assign polygroups to the lower and upper lid so you can do polygroup masked movement.

also, i find it helps to make a template eyeshape to match my skinned eyelid to when doing the weight painting.

another thing to think about is for your presentation to leads etc, a lot of high level people will have difficulty imagining what the final look of the character will be if you submit progress/approval shots with the eyes closed.

so make sure you have the open state handy in a layer or something.
  • 3D Freak