Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A little bit of help with Car Plastic textures/materials.

How can I go about replicating this plastic material/texture in 3ds max?
I have a placeholder/rudimentary version (which is just a grey leather texture I nabbed off google, which obviously won't work on the finished piece)

ZlTv62e.jpg

How should I approach this?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• E_Hollaway
    I would probably do this type of plastic by rendering out a black and white noisemap in photoshop and converting it in crazybump to get that bumpy shape in there on the normal map. You want it be be subtle. Pulling this off in the spec map will also help support the detail. In terms of your gloss map try to find as much reference as you can that lends to the roughness of this type of material, it definitely has gloss to it but the gloss is heavily diffused compared to smoother objects.
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    E_Hollaway wrote: »
    I would probably do this type of plastic by rendering out a black and white noisemap in photoshop and converting it in crazybump to get that bumpy shape in there on the normal map.

I mostly agree with you except for this. You'd be much better off creating that bump from an actual photo over whatever a computer creates. Take it into Photoshop and Filter > High Pass to get rid of the excess tonal variation and create a normal map from that.
  • MollyPurser
    Why you wanted to change it looks fabulous .
  • VVCephei
    Why you wanted to change it looks fabulous .

That's not a render, that's a reference image I got from google showing what I'm aiming for.

I really wish my model looked like that.
  • VVCephei
    Okay, holy crap. I created a similar material. Now the viewport is rendering all objects behind that material.

yfzOl8e.png

how do I fix this?

Nevermind... Fixed it. Turns out shaded mode really messes up materials :S. I thought it only removed default lighting/shadows.