Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Interior Chapel Scene WIP

Kanoba
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys ive been lurking on this forum for quite a while now and i must say i am amazed with alot of the work you guys do so many talented folks on here. So ive decided to step forward and show what im working on in Maya for my End of year project. I am currently working towards a Diploma in Animation and Digital Video but want to become a prop artist or level artist for a living.

This is very much a work in progress, the setting is a dark Chapel it will be a scene for a short animation of Demonic character (yet to be conceptualized) who will walk down the isle and up onto the stairs and turn around and spread her wings.

Ive had about a years practice now with Maya and im starting to get the hang of it but still know i have endless amounts to learn.

Also i know that i should Finish all the textures before i move onto lighting but this is a large learning curve for me and first big solo project ive undertook so my approach is all over the place.

Any Crit/help would be amazing :)

Render36.png

This is the over all look/layout of it with the main stage still to be textured,

Render35.png

This is the left side, ive done some of the lighting (the untextured object will be a brazier eventually) im sort of happy with how the textures look but any feed back is definitely welcome one main thing i want to do is have colored rays projected for the stain windows.

ChapelRenderWAO.png

This is the most recent render (ignore the roof texture as it wont really be in any of the shots) this render also has a AO pass on it

To sum up im happy with my progress so far but im still very new to maya and any tips/crit would be much appreciated

Also im happy and willing to share or answer any questions this scene and what processes i used to get something looking a certain way though most of it is just textures and lights :)

Thanks for your time

My Portfolio: http://kanoba.carbonmade.com/

Replies

• cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Get reference. These shapes and designs don't really make sense for any real church/cathedral. A little art history goes a long way, especially the large circular in the pulpit being way too low.

Colors are monotone, consider a complimentary / cool color to fill the dark areas.

Take advantage of stained glass colors for light casting on surfaces.

I created a somewhat similar scene many years ago, click my portfolio link if interested in seeing.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    It's to red.
    You should look for photos of gothic catherdal interiors. It's not really about geting the to the letter, but this type of structure have very characteristic look. Delicate/enlogated shapes for one example.

Also use stained glass, for more color variety.

It's not nesseary but it will help if the structure is closed, not cut in half, you will get better lighting behavior this way.

Also consider adding particle effects, like subtle dust. It will really help to add feeling, that this is real structure.