Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sniper kid concept

TheIceHeLater
polygon
Offline / Send Message
TheIceHeLater polygon
Hi!

This is a random concept of some kid (17-18 years old) in a post apocalyptic/sci-fi world who runs through city landscapes taking out enemys with his gigantic sniper rifle.
Started out as a sketch in my sketchbook.

Crits & comments are welcome!

ksyo.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Why does he have emmissive gear on? Wouldn't that reveal his position?

He doesn't look Post-Apocalyptic. Is there any particular reason for why his clothes are so clean?

So much potential here, but it needs to have some added character I feel.
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    Good points JadeEyePanda! I like the emmissive gear for the colours and variation. Just out of a design perspective.

I'll try and add some more dirt and damage too his clothing and gear. Maybe some more fabric to keep him warm etc. Thanks for the feedback. Really made me think about this :)
  • Strandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strandy polycounter lvl 3
    Well, looking at this I don't have impression he is a kid. He could be rather a young adult with an really gigantic gun. This may be caused by body proportions that are usually depending on actors age. They are quite different by kids. I would look into it to better express this aspect. This would also free you from vague concept of gigantic gun dimensions.
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    I understand what you mean Strandy. Maybe "kid" isn't the right word for it. I was thinking maybe 17-18 years old. Will change that in the first post. Thanks for pointing it out!
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    Is this any better?

ahx.png
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    I like the pose, I think his shoulders chop off rather sharply, even if he has his arms pulled slightly behind him the transition into the shoulders is really sharp. Is the head proportion right? Looks a little small. The dirt made it look a lot more "complete".
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry let me be blunt here, I do not think it's a good design decision there's emissive equipment on thie character. If it was maybe a third person shooter, I would maybe forgive it on the grounds of "Splinter Cell does it so you can see where you are on screen / game information indicators" but otherwise, this man stands out like a lightbulb if attempting to be sneaky and a ghost.

Leather needs better material definition as it's looking more like dirty metal than worn leather.

I feel like this guy needs more equipment if he's an urban combatant. Rappel lines, grapple hooks, a range finder, torches/flashlights, etc. This character doesn't feel like a sniper so much as a person pretending to be one.
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    Haftoof: Thanks for the advice! Maybe you are right about that. Will make some tests and see how I can approve it.

JadeEyePanda: I'm aiming for him to be a person trying to be a sniper, thats kinda why I decided to make the story postapocalyptic. An amature doing his best with what he learnt about surviving. I belive that is essential in almost every postapocalytic story there is, or am I wrong? Normal people in a crazy environment doing crazy things to survive :)
    Yeah I agree about the leather and I'll definately look into giving him some more equipment. Might make another version without the emissive equipment too just to see if you are right.
  • Strandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make him not too futuristic. Postapocalypse is hardly SiFi. It's more about things well known today just abandoned.
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    Strandy: yeah, I'll try that out. Only harder for me to make it look interesting then. Lets hope I figure it out eventually :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you looking towards references like The Last of Us or Fallout 3?
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    Strandy wrote: »
    Make him not too futuristic. Postapocalypse is hardly SiFi. It's more about things well known today just abandoned.

This is big, the more gritty would be like street signs or chunks of vehicles. But you can go simpler, I've always thought that the scales off an armadillo would be awesome post apoc gear.
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    JadeEyePande: No I made this without reference but those are good suggestions, thank you.

Haftoof: Sounds interesting!
  • Strandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (...) Only harder for me to make it look interesting then. Lets hope I figure it out (...)
    In a post apocalyptic scenario there are no stores no factories where people can buy their equipment. Most of that they wear is found and utilized. Remember the MELEE "upgraded" with a simple shiv in Last Of Us? Try to think like that. Baseball Bat "enhanced" with steel nails or a piece of pipe with welded screws? Even fire arms were not quite at the stand of technology. Shorted gun barrel, repaired rifle butt. Fire thrower made of garden tools... etc, Just examples what I mean.
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    I haven't played Last of us actually. But the repaired weapons and stuff like that sounds interesting. Working on the character right now. Let's see what I come up with! Thanks again for taking an interest in this :)
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    So heres another update. What do you guys think? Anything to add, remove or improve?

gc0c.png
  • Strandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! you are definitely on the right track. It got very clear what is the concept about!
    I like it.
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    Thanks Strandy! Glad to hear that. I am also pleased with the results so I am glad I listened to you guys :)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    in a PA world he aint gonna have a dumb bieber hair cut. this just looks like a runaway punk kid that plays dress up.

kneepads seem a bit too much.. like he found a "trendy kid sniper" store to shop from to get this outfit at. Check out the Road and mad max.. other PA films and see how unkept most people are. You have to think.. how long do your shoes/clothes last currently. Now imagine if you were rolling around in shit and could never wash them. We're no just talking a bit of dirt. Just look at people recovering from natural disasters, they look like crap. I know you have an image of what you want to make this guy look like, but based off the theme you're going for, you really need to push this or you're basically making a character for a fantasy post apoc show like Revolution.

I would experiment with more clothing thats not typical clothing. Bits of blankets, socks used in places other than feet. Gloves, plastic wrap,tape and maybe even some animal hides. Be creative and give him some personality and step away from the generic.
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    oobersli: Thank you for taking the time to write here! I agree with some of the things you said and will consider changing some stuff.
    I am not trying to make a character that I belive you would like it to be, I actually like the characters from the walking dead, falling skies etc (even though the stories are cheesy and kinda boring).
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    This is getting really hard. Trying to use the feedback wisely so the design doesn't get too far from how I want it.

n39x.png
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    Hey guys! Been a while since I wrote here. I started making the character in 3d so heres a pretty early stage of how it's going. In 3d I decided to make him a bit older so that the proportions would make more sense and because I got a bit tired of the original concept.
    Think I'll go into the sculpting a bit more on the character and rebake the normals for the rifle. Had alot of trouble with that.
    The face will need alot more sculpting also. And the arms might be a bit long. Alot of work to do!

b4wg.png

And here's the rifle.

b6yo.png
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    Started sculpting in Zbrush instead (was using mudbox before) and I like it. The interface is so confusing but I belive it looks better.
    Any advice?

o6lt.png
  • TheIceHeLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheIceHeLater polygon
    Started blocking in some colors and textures. This character is taking much more time than I thought. Any advice so far?

8aa9.png
  • TheIceHeLater