Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge September 2013 (11)

Replies

• BasicallyNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BasicallyNormal polycounter lvl 7
    People have some sweet blockouts going on.

@Dawars: Watch out for highlighting the edges on your wine bottle. You want it to appear round. Plus go bigger and bolder with your details, those things on the cork probably won't be seen unless you're close up.

@monkeymintaka: Nice 2d blockout, super useful.

@Silver Spade: Yeah that's basically how it goes. Not sure how much of this you already know so sorry if I just rant on, but they're actually just high-polygon models right now with no textures. I got the affect by putting some "holding edges" close the edges of the faces so when you smooth and divide the model you get some some nice curved edges where light can hit off. Then you make the low-polygon model to conform as closely as possible to the now smoothed highpoly model, bake it in a program of your choosing, and then apply those normal maps (and ambient occlusion and so on if you bake them too) to the lowpoly model.

Some tutorials for ya Silver:
    Setting up grid in Maya for UDK here
    How to bring models into UDK here (although you may want to skip to the "Exporting Meshes through FBX plug-in" part).

Btw damn Simon you do some sweet stuff.
  • XTheFallenOneX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XTheFallenOneX polycounter lvl 4
    So this is my [WIP] I rendered it in Blender because it's still not finished

wip_challenge_by_xthefallenonex95-d6l174o.png
  • XTheFallenOneX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my WIP for the monthly challenge.
    Still have a way to go.
    I rendered it in blender because it's still isn't finished.

• Navi271
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Navi271 polycounter lvl 4
    I may have to get in on this! I've always wanted to do a scene with painted textures, and this looks like a good opportunity. I'll let you guys know what I decide in the next few days.
  • cptnight00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After my very basic blockout i started with the floor, made with zbrush and normal mapped, my first try and this and still some work to go.

ZKOJMEk.jpg

ive decided i am not happy with the outcome and tomorrow it will get a massive revamp :P

@modebloggen the bit where the steps are looks a little thin, and your steps stick over. you probs know but its hard to fault anything :)
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    Had a bit of time to do this after work! This is where I got to. I had to stop to eat food. mmmmmmm pizza.
    RoomWIP.jpg

Also did a little experiment on creating bottles and things without using opacity :D
    WhiskeyBottle.jpg
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    my approach, blocked and started with textures
    28860js.png

azzamat really nice and clean
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    So many cool blockouts! Feels a bit late to offer this nugget...

If you're blocking out in Max 2014, there's a new Perspective Match tool that can help match the scale. It's somewhat like Sketchup's perspective match tool, and pretty easy to get the hang of.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    redhonour wrote: »
    So many cool blockouts! Feels a bit late to offer this nugget...

If you're blocking out in Max 2014, there's a new Perspective Match tool that can help match the scale. It's somewhat like Sketchup's perspective match tool, and pretty easy to get the hang of.

Pretty jealous i never knew this, and yet i've just spent an hour blocking out and matching the concept as close as I could manually.... how accurate is it :O?

Goodluck guys! Will post my current WIP shortly.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Don't sweat it! It's pretty new. And I only just got into Sketchup cos the concept artist at my job introduced me to it. For something like this concept with perfect perspective (I believe it was blocked out in 3D to begin with), it's PERFECT

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rswNzZoVLh8"]3ds Max 2014 New Features: Perspective Match - YouTube[/ame]
  • XTheFallenOneX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my WIP for the challenge.

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    @Silver Spade the section on the right is definitely half a tile too wide, and I mirrored that to my backroom, which made it a bit wider than it should be.

@Azzamat Great work on the scene so far, and the bottles and glasses are sweet, do they work from all angles?

Here's some progress from me:
    eKgkk3g.png
    I sculpted out my planks/boards texture, and right now it is just a plain color with AO, curvature & height maps overlaid on it.

Here's a zbrush screenshot:
    hLcRKD2.png

I have some sizing issues I need to sort out (table tops & room width), but I want to get a few more of the basic textures done before I start fiddling with that stuff.
  • pandaleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pandaleon polycounter lvl 7
    post01_proxi-stool.png

made the basic layout and the stool for the bar. I'm probably going to make the tile-able textures for the floors and the wall after/as i flesh out the wall/floor some I think. going to go the lowpoly to texuring path on this set. (woot learning Maya modeling as i go! I'm a max user.)

I'm really diggin your guys stuff so far! i love seeing how everyone aproches and interprets the same set.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Just wanted to make a quick query before I post my WIP.

1) How come everyones using 1 sided geometry (planes) - won't this look kinda off/ flat

2) Is anyone using a game engine as most seem to be within 3D software... :\
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    @Great start everyone, and Redhonor thanks for reminding me of that feature, going to go and recheck my scene now :D

@Dave Jr

1) At the beginning stage of creating an environment most will create a 'Blockout' of the environment. This entails using planes, basic geometry to create the general layout for example: Height and size of walls, the space a table takes up, the height of the bar, size of the floor, etc etc.

After this stage has been made you should then export the whole thing and test it out in the engine that is being used. (For most it's UDK). Run around and check everything is to the right height and the level is playable (i.e you can get where you need to get (i.e a table isn't blocking the way) and then make any adjustments needed.

After that you work on individual objects either detailing them or replacing them entirely.

So to answer 2) most will start in 3d software for the blockout, then detail and move into their game engine.
  • monkeymintaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeymintaka polycounter lvl 7
    Everyone's working too fast! I need to get going :)
    @AzzaMat: Love that glass texture! It's a really cool ide. Are you going to bring some of the brown through the back, from the bar cabinet?

@m4dcow: I really like your wood texture, I haven't tried doing textures in zbrush yet, soI will have to give it a go. Is it tileable? I was just wondering how you did the taller bits of wood in the alcove? Did you use a different texture of just manipulate the normal map?

@VisanCosmin: Is a picture missing from your last post?
  • GenericGoodGuy
    Hello, can someone please tell me what type of meat/animal is on the table? in the top right corner by the window. It looks like some kind of insect.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Hello, can someone please tell me what type of meat/animal is on the table? in the top right corner by the window. It looks like some kind of insect.

they live in a world where land is a rarity, so there are no large herds of cows around, so their diet is mostly made from insects and birds, they have livestock but it's not on any level we know it.

So those are maggots, actually the same stuff you can find in that jar on the bar counter

maggot.jpeg
  • GenericGoodGuy
    Neox wrote: »
    they live in a world where land is a rarity, so there are no large herds of cows around, so their diet is mostly made from insects and birds, they have livestock but it's not on any level we know it.

So those are maggots, actually the same stuff you can find in that jar on the bar counter

maggot.jpeg

Thanks!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    @monkeymintaka Thanks, the wood texture is tileable in both directions, but only really makes sense tiling horizontally, and everywhere you see wood in that shot is the same texture. For the slight height variations, I just chipped off slightly more or less on the ends of adjacent boards.
    IiRtb4W.png
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    I fixed some of my proportions.

UCuo9Oe.jpg

And started a wooden table!

jhdpiwD.jpg
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fashoomp polycounter lvl 10
    A little late to the party, but I'll hop on board for this one! It blows me away how fast everyone works; already some fantastic progress here.

I'm really going work through this one properly instead of jumping all over the place. I've got my breakdown, and I'm going to start on my blockout, and unique assets. Best of luck to everyone!

F4CIxW3.jpg
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    Here's my entry into this thing. Just started today and got a basic blockout done. Also, has anyone else had an issue in Maya where the 'Insert Edge Loop' tools menu won't appear?

LIX270T.jpg
  • inwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    Neox wrote: »

finding reference for this is goin be fun ^^
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
  • Navi271
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Navi271 polycounter lvl 4
    Ok, count me in for this! I want to make this a full scene and not copy exactly what the reference image looks like. I'll probably do higher than normal poly because this is such a small scene. Here's the cutaway version.Simple_Bar_02_zpsc9a10f75.jpg

Here is what it looks like on the inside. The tile floor is only a placeholder. I just wanted to see what that UDK standard asset would look like. I used the character meshes to determine how big some things needed to be.
    Simple_Bar_01_zpsef17f392.jpg

neverwander - The only reason I've had a window not appear is because I put it on my 2nd monitor and then later changed were the screen was in relation to my main monitor, and the window seemed to open in an area where there was no monitor anymore...

somedoggy - I like what's going on with that table! It seems that there's something funky with the resolution though. If you used zbrush, I wonder if you should subdivide one or two more times, maybe it's just the normals needed to be softened on your high poly model, or your texture sheet reso needs to be bumped up. Try some stuff and see what happens!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I think what you're talking about is just resolution. the test bake was 1024x256 so it's pretty small atm. the tabletop is also the high poly. i haven't sculpted on it yet

navi - solid blockout so far, no crits atm
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Made a simple plaster texture, and mapped the planks texture to the beams and wooden trim for blockout purposes. Off to sculpt beams and the floor now.
    fM4Oa3l.png
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Here goes my entry.
    WIP#1:
    Worked Hrs: 1.5 hrs
    blockout
    1.jpg
  • retmia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retmia polycounter lvl 8
    Hi :)
    It's my first time here, I just though about that topic : WHAT A GORGEOUS IDEA §§! ... So I jumped in because I know I have some very weak / empty skills in the great world of 3D ...
    I used to be an Art Student ... but I feel like now I want to dig the video-game side ! I plan to bring it to Unity !

The concept is somehow simple, and the tile on the floor is a perfect ruler to measure the dimensions ... So I directely jumped in the blockout part within 3DS :

Xi0XFeA.png

After that I don't really know what to work on ... ?
    Start Refining the Walls / Props already ? When is the best moment to start working on textures ?
  • Elzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started building up the high poly models yesterday using the block out as reference and some some sections I just used and cleaned up.

@retmia - Looks ok for a basic block out to me. Make sure you pay extra close attention to scaling (use the tiles as your guide), it will make life much easier when you start building up your high poly build. different people do different workflows, its up to you when you want to start texturing really...me personally, I prefer to build all the assets I need then texture them all within a week or so. However I do find my workflow to be boring as I spend a week modeling solidly, then a week texturing solidly...sometimes good to break it up abit.

@cmtanko - Stairs are spiraling CW not CCW but the general size of the main area looks good, could do with alittle tweaking of scales with some assets to get the block out a bit more to scale. but really nice start for only 1.5hrs...Wish I could model that fast :(

Highpolystarted_zps5f8f54d1.jpg

Currently looking at the lighting and I have a question that hopefully someone can shed some light on *ba dum chhh*.

The beam of light coming from the front right wall, at first I was thinking it is a door that's slightly open but then I realized that the door would need to open inward to create a beam of light coming from that angle. There's no door shown in the concept so then I was thinking it might be spiral stairs going up but the light in my opinion doesn't fit. Which has now left me with the thought of a window (like the other one at the back) but due to the extreme angle of the light source its only peaking in, hitting the floor as a beam and hitting the inside of the window seal.

This of course would mean there is no door in the whole scene, which obviously has to be wrong but I don't see how it could be a door.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Elzy: I noticed that same thing.

Also the flagstone floor suggests being at ground level, as those would be a pain or expensive to get UP somewhere, and support properly with a tech level suggested by the rest of the scene. Also the rope gate across the stairwell, but no obvious or implied bouncer station suggests that its more to keep people from going down, suggesting a cellar where the wines and ales are kept, rather than a first floor where patrons enter. Also the small gap in the wall near the bar station is typical for a kitchen pass-thru. Which again suggests that this is either on the first floor, or that the pass-thru is a dumbwaiter.
    I'd suggest the crack of light that appears to be a narrow window to actually be the door, even if it wasn't explicit in the concept. There's enough of an angle there that the whole wall isn't really detailed. Also this appears as more of a setting piece than an architectural design piece, so some modification should be fine.

edit: Yeah its a door that opens out hinged from the side closest to the perspective of the camera in the concept.

Look at the top of the light shaft angle and trace the triangle up the wall. Its too large for anything other than a bay window, and given everything else in the scene, a door seems more likely. Also notice how the wall changes just about that point.
  • retmia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retmia polycounter lvl 8
    @Elzy, thanks for the advices :)

+ I took a look to the Door Problem with my badass blockout, and a sunlight system with octane render ...

1KOBSXC.png
    With the door wide open we're missing the other window spot ...

epgRxCN.png
    But supposing the door is a sliding door, we can adjust the position of the light beam easily ... :)
  • Elzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Vailias

I'm gunna say that the door would be set slightly higher than the floor then, 2-3 steps at most and is hinged as you suggested while being a smidgen open. Hopefully that will gimme the right look but I'll have a mess around.

Yer that looks good retmia, thanks for doing that :D
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow - Thanks! The bottles work from most angles, Some better than others.

monkeymintata - Yeh I'm still experimenting with the texture. Some of it will come in the reflection layer.

only had a little bit of time to work on it today.
    Update on the shelves. They still need detail pass
    WoodUpdate.jpg

Lamp - still missing emmisive etc diffuse only
    Lamp.jpg
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any tutorial for hand painted textures ?
    Also I dont need to sculpt(No normal map required ?)if I hand paint right ?
  • Hunter0626
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter0626 null
    cmtanko wrote: »
    Any tutorial for hand painted textures ?
    Also I dont need to sculpt(No normal map required ?)if I hand paint right ?

This tutorial might help :)
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124494
  • GenericGoodGuy
    Hello I started a few days ago currently I haven't put it in udk so this render is in marmoset hopefully that's ok

Progress so far -

N0GU07c.png

I'm not very good at 2d but I'm trying to improve and practicing as much as I can.

I love your textures Azzamat, when I look at mine It looks like I lack the warm colours.
  • Fashoomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fashoomp polycounter lvl 10
    First chunk of the blockout done. A few more props and I'll get this bad boy into UDK.

xZNTAc3.jpg
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    pushed textures a bit, added light. I hope bge will be fine for this challange. Dont know to much about udk/unity ;/
    m93lfs.png
  • Elzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whys everyone working so fast...its not a race :P

I barely have half of my final models done and no textures at all yet, taking my time...make it look pretty and all that jazz :D
  • T-Spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T-Spawn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey everyone. Been lurking these month challenge threads for a while but now I've decided I need to do it for myself. Haven't worked with UDK (or really any engine yet) so I'm going to use this as a starting off point. Can't wait to get started.

Here's my breakdown. There were probably a few things I forgot to list or just couldn't think of the name.
    e29EKOE.jpg

Also @riceart, I love how this is looking so far. You're taking this reference and totally making it your own. Can't wait to see more.
    Really just can't wait to see more from everyone.
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to give this a go, just got started tonight. This'll be my first monthly challenge, and my first complete scene as well! Excited to see what I can do, and everyone else's progress as well :)

Here's a quick shot for the night, first few hours of progress. Got the scene half blocked out and also baked the tables. The textures are just placeholders atm, gonna go back and make them beautiful soon :poly121:

HIickp7.jpg
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hunter0626: Thanks man

2.jpg
    Here goes my first hand painted texture.. Plz suggest if I can do anything to improve it .
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GenericGoodBoy Thanks glad you like them. I would say your wood needs more variation, Its very yellow in the corner.

@cmtanko The cracks in the wood are too dark compared to where the joints meet. A lot of the detail looks very lazily scribbled in. Especially on the top.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest Update:
    2.jpg
  • staceanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    staceanator polycounter lvl 3
    Finally managed to make a start on this months challenge - only spent a couple of hours trying to block in the larger sections and get it all into UDK - first time using this so I'm going to attempt to keep it all fairly simple.

tumblr_msrkkodwX61rbhbsho1_1280.jpg

Currently just tweaking the scale as it doesn't feel quite right yet. Any comments/tips would be really appriciated =)

To check things quickly I grouped the entire mesh and exported the selection from maya - does anyone know why the curved wall section wont appear? If I re import the selection into a new maya scene its all there just not in UDK!
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    staceanator, check your mesh's normals. UDK (and pretty much all engines really) only renders the side of the face with the normal facing outwards, it won't render the backside of the face.
  • modebloggen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modebloggen polycounter lvl 9
    riceart: Really nice texture! I see that a lot of people made vertical beams in the area above the bottle cabinet, something that I interpreted as striped wallpaper... But I think I may be in the wrong here!

Got a bit of texture work done, and upped most of the meshes. Gonna tackle the bar disk next, as well as try and work out some problems I've been having with UDK.
    wiMeWI0.jpg
  • staceanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    staceanator polycounter lvl 3
    Flipping the normals worked a treat, thanks James!