Home Dota 2

Polygons are clearly visible on imported item

Hello everyone! I'm currently working on the sword for a set I'm making for Sven, but I've been having this weird problem when I import my item into the game. In the full body preview as well as in-game, the polygons of the model are clearly visible through the texture, and it seems as if some of the color of the normal map was on top of the texture.

ocpr.png

Has anyone else had this problem or know a way to solve it? I've been looking around and trying to fix different parts of the whole process for days, but without any luck. I've tried it with flat masks on all channels, change the smoothing groups configuration, etc., but I get the same result. Does it have something to do with the UVs? Because otherwise, the texture seems to be correctly mapped to the item.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Soften your normals if using Maya or do the equivalent in Blender or 3DS Max.
  • VotaVader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your answer, MdK! The 3ds Max equivalent to the soften normals of Maya, are the smoothing groups, so I went back to fiddle with them and had no luck. But then I noticed that in the FBX Exporter where I was exporting the files, under the FBX File Format menu, I had "FBX 2014" (the default) in the Version selector. I tried switching that to "FBX 2012" and it worked like a charm!

So if anyone else has this problem, I hope this solution helps!

7s3x.png