Home Unreal Engine

Material ID Problem in UDK

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
barnesy polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys,

I have made a character and I originally had 3 material ID setup for it , 1 - body (armour suit) , 2 - head and 3 - hair

However, I have tried to add a 4th and 5th for the eyes and the translucent parts of the eyes but they do not seem to update when I reimport the character :s

Could this be that the old models vertex numbers etc are stored in memory and that it isn't detecting a change or something?

I have tried renaming the model and it still only seems to come in with 3 ID's instead of 5 :\

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue?

Thanks PC :)

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Sometimes a simple reimport doesn't clear everything correctly, but a true "import" should fix the problem.

-First, are you sure you have 5 different materials ID ? Sorry if it's sound stupid but that's the first thing to check.

-What are you trying to import : static mesh or skeletal mesh ? In the case of a skeletal mesh be sure everything is skinned properly.
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Max, Maya? Max I take since you say mat ids?

In Max it will not find material slots if the slot in the material editor in Max shares the same name as another slot. If you duplicated a material in Max you have the same names, and Unreal doesn't like that. Check the names.

Make sure the order of the material slots in the multi sub object is nice in order. 1 2 3 4 5.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for your help guys.

Hourences I followed your advice and it works fine now so thanks for that :)

The main problem that I had was that I was assigning mat ID's to the model but they were always reverting back to mat ID 2 ( which I didn't realize because I kept them all as the same default grey material)

To fix that I simply converted to edit mesh then back to edit poly to reset the mesh :)