Home Technical Talk

Zbrush polypaint lines dotty and not smooth.

Bug
Bug
Hi,

I am newish to Zbrush. I have modeled something and am polypainting some thin sketch lines to figure out where I want my shut lines.

For some reason my lines are coming not smooth but rather dotted. On the same model previously they were coming out perfectly thin like pencil stroke on paper. I keep getting this issue on and off for some unexplained reason so I thought I would start this thread to get to the bottom of it.

Facts

1) Model is VERY dense so resolution in not an issue.
2) Dynamesh or non dynamesh model makes no difference.
3) Brush is set to Standard with RGB only selected
4) Stroke- I have tried with freehand and dots.
5) Alpha is off but I have tried with Alpha01 without any luck.
6) Lazy mouse helps slightly but I want it without lazy mouse as it did work fine before.

Last time it was working fine but I reset the brushes and it started working wonky again.

Here I subdivided a sphere 6 times just to test and this is what I get. I just want thin smooth lines and not dots.

Any advice would be welcome.

brMivfZ.jpg

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I'm having trouble recreating this issue myself but, I'm pretty sure you can enable lazy mouse to reduce this.

z0jw.jpg
  • RappyBMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't know why it's set to 1 by default :|
    (ClayBuildup with roll dist set to 10 = :poly106: )
    zbrush_roll_dist.png
  • Bug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bug
    Maybe it is time to reinstall Zbrush. Thanks for the help.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i dont have that problem, unless i turn off lazymouse.

zb_polypaint.jpg
  • evomedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For aid of future zbrushers, I know the cause of this issue ...

I had this issue myself and was pulling my hair out for a few hours trying to get smooth lines, I finally identified where the issue was, basically its a graphics card issue, I have both a integrated gfx card as well as a dedicated one in my laptop.

Unless I set zbrush to use the high performance dedicated card I get dotted lines rather than smooth, guessing the integrated cards lack of ram is causing drawing issue. I never had problems, but I think I upgraded my Nvidia drivers recently and must of lost my program graphics preferences I had stored.

Probably why most people find it impossible to replicate the issue.
  • hansolocambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    evomedia said: basically its a graphics card issue
     ZBrush is a CPU-based software. If it runs better on one of your computers it's because it's got more RAM and/or a better CPU. No relation at all with the graphic card.
    JohnnyRaptor : I have the issue with lazy on or off. I can still do a lot but it's a pain in the ass. Having to paint slowly in order to get smooth lines instead of dots.
  • dodik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zdarova, faced the same problem. Also, the brush suddenly stopped drawing smoothly. Even when the program was closed, it still remained the same. Your solution is to make more space on the C drive. In simple words - you go on your computer here: C:\Users\Public\Documents/ZBrushData /QuickSave and delete everything to hell. Also look at the Preferences-Undo history tab (10,000 save steps is too many. Your file weighs gigabytes because of this)

И на русском, если не понятно:

здарова, столкнулась с такой же проблемой. Также внезапно перестала кисть плавно рисовать. Даже при закрытии проги все равно оставалось также. Твое решение - сделать больше места на диске C. Простыми словами - заходишь на своём компе сюда: C:\Users\Public\Documents/ZBrushData/ QuickSave и удаляешь все к чертям. Также смотри на вкладку Preferences-Undo history (10.000 шагов сохранения - слишком много. Твой файл из-за этого весит гигабайты)