Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old French Building WIP

Hey guys, any help or reviews with this could help. I am mainly concerned with the textures, and looking for some opinions. I have AO, normals, defuse, and spec in there. Also, the reference is here http://catell-ruz.deviantart.com/art/buiding-from-Cathair-color-144448546

thanks in advance :)

Fhm6rre.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    The boards seem much too thick, but some of that might be from the shadows.

The stair railing is also too thick. and a bit short.

I don't know how close you are trying to get to the concept, buy your windows are much wider. Your barrels also appear too squat.

The awning could probably use a few more segments.
  • djoexe
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    I suggest you to review all your meterial as they're not near to be physically correct. At this distance it's also kinda hard to see your normal map. As metioned by Mr.Dwalker, couple of your mesh are too fat or squashed. Take more shot up close and work on those material as possible.
  • Logithx
    Offline / Send Message
    Logithx polycounter lvl 5
    Make some decals to simulate stains from rain (particularly on the roof, below the windows etc.). The roof is too saturated in my opinion and looks too clean. I also find that the building looks way too blocky, add some extra geometry on the corners and add noise (manually) so they're no longer pefectly vertical (you could do the same for the trim around the windows). You can do this easily without having to rebake anything or change UV layouts. Try doing it for the wooden planks as well. Even a little bit of noise will make a huge difference, without it they just look perfectly flat and unrealistic.

edit:

Here, I went into Photoshop and did some quick editting using the liquifier. Also desaturated the roof. You can see it makes a lot of differences even if the noise added is very tiny. It would look better if done with geometry because the liquifier in Photoshop uses a spherical brush which is not really what you'd want for this.

http://imageshack.us/a/img802/4954/z2ad.jpg