Home Dota 2

[Concept Art] Vengeful Spirit idea for set

Edit: Since Venge's model isn't broken down yet, I decided to switch this thread to general concept art I'll do for Steam Workshop. Expect more heroes soon. :D
Also, big, big, BIG thanks for making me feel accepted into PolyCount community!
I had this idea for VS set ever since her model got broken down, but I didn't put it into action since I'm complete noob when it comes to modeling software (I could do textures though and I did try derping around in TF2 weapon modeling) Only yesterday I've read someone's suggestion that posting here would be nice for feedback or possible collaboration with someone who's good with modeling. So, here it goes:
CTgje8O.png
R25tp6u.png
General idea for this set was her ''banishment'' from Skywrath and I wanted to play with her old mask. I'm opened for suggestions and what could be redone (I included two skirts concept). If someone is interested in working with me on this one, I'd be more than happy. :D

Replies

• Tomus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomus polycounter lvl 5
    AFAIK venge is not yet open for workshop
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomus wrote: »
    AFAIK venge is not yet open for workshop

Yeah, got notified a while ago. Thanks for the head ups tho. :D
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Hey, welcome to the community!

Very nice concepts, they look good and mesh well with the character. However, I think there's an issue with the silhouette of the cloak and cape. The base model's head and shoulder items are very tall, swoopy and lead outward from the character. Bringing it down to a hood and cloak is a much more contained and a pretty fundamentally different silhouette; it feels like something more suited to Drow or others. Vengeful, when I think of her, is very poofy and dynamic and bright. That kind of overall sense of character and silhouette is something to keep in mind when designing.

If you revisit the head/shoulders/back slot items I think you could be onto something really good!

Also as stated above, Vengeful isn't out yet for us to submit items for, but sometime soon perhaps. No reason to hold back the concepts.:)
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    Hey, welcome to the community!

Very nice concepts, they look good and mesh well with the character. However, I think there's an issue with the silhouette of the cloak and cape. The base model's head and shoulder items are very tall, swoopy and lead outward from the character. Bringing it down to a hood and cloak is a much more contained and a pretty fundamentally different silhouette; it feels like something more suited to Drow or others. Vengeful, when I think of her, is very poofy and dynamic and bright. That kind of overall sense of character and silhouette is something to keep in mind when designing.

If you revisit the head/shoulders/back slot items I think you could be onto something really good!

Also as stated above, Vengeful isn't out yet for us to submit items for, but sometime soon perhaps. No reason to hold back the concepts.:)

Hey there, thanks for feedback! :D

I know there's dynamic thing about Venge where her stuff pops out mostly, hood is definitely out of the place at least for her since hair in basic style streches outwards and has that nice glow effect. I did that in first place, but switched to hood just to see if it could work, but you're right, it's not her silhouette. Cloak part was sort of attempt on the ''hiding part'', but I think reworking her wings completely will be much better.

Will go on revising now, thanks for really good input. Gave me a lot of insight. :))
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Frump hit the nail on the head. But don't worry, there's lots of other heroes that are available and even more 3D artists who'd love to have you stick around and do more concepts ;)
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Frump hit the nail on the head. But don't worry, there's lots of other heroes that are available and even more 3D artists who'd love to have you stick around and do more concepts ;)

I'll give a go at other heroes too, but Venge kinda drew me in since they updated her model. <3
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guhhh, tried editing Thread title, but I can't change it, and I don't want to annoy anyone with creating another thread, so i'll just continue posting in here, so

idea for enigma's ward (talk about lazy :V :V)

IUjRDqR.png
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    I like your style! Maybe you want to do another concept for a girl-hero, seeing that you wanted a veng set first?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man, gotta agree with Vlad, really digging your style, keep it up!
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your style! Maybe you want to do another concept for a girl-hero, seeing that you wanted a veng set first?
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Yeah man, gotta agree with Vlad, really digging your style, keep it up!

Thanks a lot folks! Will definitely come up with more stuff (have Rubick too in mind)

And Vlad, I gave shot at Death Prophet, just messed up with spudnik's sheet references, this needs more detailing though (maybe trough next few days, I have to figure out which part will go where as an item) :D
    CJiwbFB.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She's got top part of her dress, lower part of her dress, belt, scarves and hair separately. You can check items via ingame store.
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Derp, I always check wiki to see which parts are available however they screwed something in there and it takes ages to come to actual page with hero bundles :V

anyhow, polished her bit more. Love her color scheme so much!
    QfB4cH2.jpg
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    Colourwise looks great! I feel like the bottom half of the dress is maybe lacking a few features though? Maybe if you just expanded a little on the features you put into that part already it would be good! It just needs perhaps a little more. Also Im not sure if the blue line pattern goes so great with the general shaping and flow of the other patterns, it would be cool if it was a it more skewed as a pattern maybe.
    Just because the general shaping of the clothes is tilted circles around her body i find the neatly positioned printed pattern to be a bit jarring, but that was only after I looked at the details.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice update!
    You may want to make the belt a tad bit bigger, since it should cover the seam between two items, and that could be real big.
    Also the bottom part is lacking any features discerning it from the default, so you may want to add some oomph to it.
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for feedback guys! Here's another rework as you both suggested. Also added more details, felt kind of empty (however I have feeling I probably overdid it now :U).

qvkKwbK.jpg
    PS: should I create another thread or continue posting here? I wish I could change name of this thread but 'edit' won't let me :'(.
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    ask a mod or admin to change it for you
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja wrote: »
    ask a mod or admin to change it for you

Just did that, let's see what happens!
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy brushstrokes! Now, first of all, i'm having a hard time understanding what that belt should be? Colored as her main body it gives me some creepy ideas! :D
    Second of all, that uneven dress bottom is cuy out or just colored that way? It kinda breaks the flow a bit, i think.
    Also, you may want to buff up small laces, because with the igame camer they should be clearly visible.
    Nice work all around!
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy brushstrokes! Now, first of all, i'm having a hard time understanding what that belt should be? Colored as her main body it gives me some creepy ideas! :D
    Second of all, that uneven dress bottom is cuy out or just colored that way? It kinda breaks the flow a bit, i think.
    Also, you may want to buff up small laces, because with the igame camer they should be clearly visible.
    Nice work all around!

Ty, ty :D! Uhhhh about belt--- Didn't thought to be anything specific, but I'm quite interested in your creepy idea ;O.

About dress, I've updated picture above with how I actually imagined (but my mind somehow forgot to visualize that), also buffed up laces because, yeah, it would be barely noticeable if they remained smallish.
    zKfFFMT.jpg

I consider it somewhat finished, however I would still appreciate feedback if it's needed!
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloop, dazzle staff poop and stuff holy dafuq have I just written
    Q2PYhh1.jpg

feedbacko appreciato mucho
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    I really love your idea for the VS set, your concept work in general looks great with the effects added on. I like the concept of the dazzle staff, neat shapes going on, perhaps fill in some of the negative space at the top so that the eye doesn't get lost in the geometry and so it doesn't feel as delicate? Keep up the great work!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the Dazzle staff goes into a bit too much detail that's gonna either be lost or gonna cost you a ton in terms of triangles. Remember, big and readable from a distance!
  • mvitkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mvitkun polycounter lvl 2
    R25tp6u.png
    Wow, really wish someone had made this or would make it now because it looks perfect.