Home Dota 2

Magic Carpet Courier

Hey guys,

I have updated my courier submission for the Dota 2 workshop a couple of days ago

Magic Carpet Courier

and would like to ask you for feedback. What do you think of it? How about the textures (carpet, treasure chest cage and wood) and the animations? And if you see some things you don't like, how can I improve them? I am new to 3D modelling, animation, texturing and everything, so, in case you happen to know a tutorial or any kind of article/information on that improvable topic, could you please give me the link?

Also, I have two specific questions:

1. As you can see here, I created the two different sides of the carpet by replacing the middle area of the sun/moon with another area on the texture map. Since I did not want to give it equal space, I squeezed it horizontally to 50%:
9ahG9VH.png
Also, I added 5px padding on all sides:
aPHp4uy.png
Still, ingame, even with full hd resolution, I can see the edges bleeding a bit of grey color.
B94P2op.png
Can you tell me why and how I can undo it? I do not have the same problem with the central lines of the carpet, where I have the same 5px outside padding.

2. My flying death animation plays right in Blender, in import preview but not in the game preview:
kPI4ohH.gif
I has a glitch after some frames and starts again after that. Then it plays to the end correctly. Do you know why and how I can correct it? (my assumption is that it has something to do with it falling down and below the blender origin coordinate, but I'm not sure)

Thank you!

Replies

• vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    clearroy wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have updated my courier submission for the Dota 2 workshop a couple of days ago

Magic Carpet Courier

and would like to ask you for feedback. What do you think of it? How about the textures (carpet, treasure chest cage and wood) and the animations? And if you see some things you don't like, how can I improve them? I am new to 3D modelling, animation, texturing and everything, so, in case you happen to know a tutorial or any kind of article/information on that improvable topic, could you please give me the link?

Also, I have two specific questions:

1. As you can see here, I created the two different sides of the carpet by replacing the middle area of the sun/moon with another area on the texture map. Since I did not want to give it equal space, I squeezed it horizontally to 50%:

Also, I added 5px padding on all sides:

Still, ingame, even with full hd resolution, I can see the edges bleeding a bit of grey color.

Can you tell me why and how I can undo it? I do not have the same problem with the central lines of the carpet, where I have the same 5px outside padding.

2. My flying death animation plays right in Blender, in import preview but not in the game preview:

I has a glitch after some frames and starts again after that. Then it plays to the end correctly. Do you know why and how I can correct it? (my assumption is that it has something to do with it falling down and below the blender origin coordinate, but I'm not sure)

Thank you!
    That padding is not enought AT ALL. D2 likes to switch res of your textures depending on the camera distance, so it maybe wise to add some more and fill out. There are scripts/plugins to add padding if you don't want to rebake, so i suggest that.
    As i can see, you're trying to fit your UV shell to close to the borders, so when Doto resizes your texture "ingame", you get horrible bleeding. You probably don't have any in the loadout preview, am i right?

Also, everything near the edges of the texture will get more bleeding than stuff inside. TL;DR add MORE padding, a lot more!

As for the animations, i believe it's just the importer bug. I've had this exact thing happening with the healing ward, so that's not your fault.