Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Metal Gears Solid - Olga Gurlukovich redesign

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Graze: thanks lots for the paintover!, shotgun mentioned the arms too, bu t I got so preoccupied with the face that I forgot, they have been pulled out a bit now,
    I have taken your sugestion about raising the groin too, thanks man....Ihave had a play with the volume of the trousers before but I want to keep them in line with
    the gears style male legs so to be honest I probably wont mess about with them any more....I will have a think on it though.

mr_ace: thank you very much :)

DougClayton4231: thank you....me either!

axl99: Thanks axl....your sketchbook thread is awesome btw!

Jackablade: it wa indeed, good eyes sir, and thanks :D

underfox: thank you....it should be sorted now, honest.

BhushanArekar: Thanks very much.

Makkon: Thanks man :D while I am thinking about sketchbooks yours is still one of my favourites, just wall to wallamazing.

chrisradsby: Hey Chris, nah it was too short :D hopefully looking better now though.

SurlyBird: Thanks very much also :)

so the proportion tweaks should be done now, sorry that its not a massive update...I am a little worried that the legs are looking too up and down now that Graze has mentioned it, and thinking about it crazyfool before him, but I do want to keep something of the gears style, and I can get some curve back into the legs once I have the lowpoly made...I will have a think on that for the time being...anyway pictures...again sorry that theres not much change.

olga%20wip%20015.jpg

looks like I will be making a snub pistol for her now, rather than just a basic side arm...but I will do that on the side while I finish up the high and get the retopo done.

thanks for looking :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Kicking ass seth!!!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    shes looking awesome man, the face is coming together real nice aswell

hope you dont mind but I did another paintover to annoy you haha, take with a pinch of salt, just some suggestions dude :) shes looking great!!!

sn_olga.gif
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    well done, for me she looks American instead of Russian.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Jason,: Thanks man :D super jealous about the project that you are working on :)

Crazyfool: Tom, is it acceptable to tell another man that you love him on the strength of a paintover? You have managed to get the trousers spot on where I failed miserably....I have a lot of work to do in the lower half from the looks of things, even the silhouette change on the shoulder looks ace. I cant thank you enough for that man, a serious eye opener.

Belias: thanks man, I like to think that shes a citizen of the world, but I understand where you are coming from...I will see what I can do about the face once I have implemented some other stuff, but I think that I have hit my current talent level on her head and ethnicity is the next level :D
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Nice character and that has to be one of the best paintovers....
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    tbh man, i've crapped better art than this. Crazyfool lives up to his name, trying to apply a bandaid fix to a gaping axe wound...

hahaha i kid of course. it's coming along really well man. would have liked to see more asymmetry though.

render in toolbag2 yo!
  • AM_1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seth this works looking great! :)
  • X³²Lapis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10
    She's coming together really well,

What a great paintover crazyfool
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    that paintover! good god
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Spot on paint-over :) Hopefully you can apply this stuff seth :) Looking forward to more progress, really nice work so far!
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    katana: thanks, and I agree :)

Gir: hehehehe cheeky bastard...you know that I''m too much of a hack to even make this...I outsource all personal work :D
    thanks mister there might be a bit less symetry in the trousers now, I will see what else I can do....
    they will be all individual unwraps though so the texture wont be mirrored, that might help break it up a bit

AM_1983: thank you very much :)

X³²Lapis: thanks, and yeah I agree muchly.

iciban: I know right :D

chris: thanks man....yeah I took almost all that Tom did and implimented it

...so....feeling a little humble when the best work in yout thread is by someone else....awkward much :D
    I took a lot of toms fantastic paintovert onboard and heres where I'm at...

I think that its time to get the sidearm done now, and maybe come back to her for a final polish after that, but I'm itching to get on to the textures now.

olga%20wip%20016.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Looks great man, very natural looking. I really like the knee braces aswell. Looks way better than my crummy paintover...what ya talkin aboot!?!?! Haha

Seriously though it's a really nice design you have there, I think it welds the two very nicely, must have been difficult due to how much the gears style clashes with the clean metal gear look. Still not happy her abs are out haha but she's looking great dude, look forward to seeing more
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks Tom, your crits have been super helpful....sorry I have to show the bellybutton :D

Low poly'd the head and cap so that I could have a play in TB2...early doors yet, but I think that its going in the right direction...I cant get transparency to work, and I'm learning the tricks of the new skin shader as I go, but its pretty swanky :)

The torso is just a decimated high poly mesh, ot sits at about 2M tris, but TB2 has no problem with it

Next steps are tidying up the eyes and bringing the pore detail out more in the diffuse

olga%20wip%20017c.jpg
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Love your work man, really nice stuff.

I stumbled into your Cossack thread just as I am wrapping up my own leather heavy character I posted in the What are you working on thread so the breakdowns you posted will really help.

Looking forward to seeing the LP/Texture work on this one, especially as a big MGS fan, keep up the great work! :D
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    this is looking sweet man. really clean so far.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    NECRO!!

So I dug out the old ztool for this and decided to start polishing her again see if we cant get a finished piece going.

she's going to need a lot of work, but I think it might be worth it.

so here's a new head and polypaint, next will be reworking the silhouette and the cloth, I think tom might actually get the covered midrift after all :D

olga%20wip%20001%20new.jpg

I'm trying to get the look of a young woman brought up on Russian military bases...hopefully she's not too butch, but the face will probably be an evolving thing as I rework the rest of her so crits are more than welcome