Home Technical Talk

Need tips on how to approach this problem: Deleting interior polygon

typechristopher
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
typechristopher polycounter lvl 10
Here's an example, i need to delete some of the polygon inside but is there a quicker method apart from doing it one-by-one

Untitled-1_zps49754ea9.jpg

Replies

• sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Could delete a poly ring around around the cuffs of the shirt, around the collar, Around the bottom edge, and down the middle, Then in theory you'd have two elements (inner, and outer) and could just select the inner and delete it.

Edit:

Scratch the down the middle, you'd just have to do the collar, Cuffs, and bottom edge I believe.
  • daemoria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or you can select by polygons limited by angle. If you keep the angle something around 15-30 degrees, your selection will not bleed over the collar, and will just select the inner surfaces.

another way is to apply a autosmoothing group to the whole mesh, and then just select by the 1 smoothing group that makes up the internal, if the first method doesn't work for some reason.
  • typechristopher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    typechristopher polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys thanks for the response, the painting actually works well but still pretty tedious but way better than one by one.

Ive come up with other solutions, one is the select all the outer polygons by hand, or painting, and then simply Ctrl + I to invert and delete.

Or

Delete half (if object is symmetrical) and delete the inside. If the object is not 100% symmetrical (which is like this in my case), you can still delete half, and just retop over it.

Thanks
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably easier to split the edges around the collar/cuffs, then element select the inside and delete.

(Or loop select the polys at the collar/cuffs and delete those, then delete the inside).