Home Unreal Engine

Multiple Import Problems

Hello Polycount : )

I have a problem import a model to the Editor.
I want to import a house.

I use Cinema 4D for the exporting my fbx. The problem is my model is splitted in like 10 Parts.

When i import it to UDK I also get the splitted models only in my Assets Browser. So I can't selected them all and drop them in the World.
Only way is part per part and so my model get messed up.

Then i tryed to grup my model to one block and export it, but then UDK Crashes :(

Also i get the error that i have no smoothing group :( Don't know what this is I can't find a setting for this in Cinema ;(

I hope you can understand my english and Problem :poly136:

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    Try placing one part of your object, then duplicate it with ctrl+c, ctrl+v. This will make a duplicate object in the exact same place. Go back to the content browser and select a different piece. Right click on the duplicated piece and go to "replace with" --> your new Static Mesh piece. As long as the pieces all share the same pivot, you should see them snap into place (one by one).

Alternatively, you can select your objects in the world and press f4. This will pop open the object property window. Look under the movement tab and change the placement to 0, 0, 0 (or wherever the mesh belongs). As long as the pivots snap to a grid in cinema, you should be able to get them to line up in UDK. Hope this helps!
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    With a single fbx file made of multiple objects you can just check "Combine Meshes" on UDK import.
  • Radiocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An wrote: »
    With a single fbx file made of multiple objects you can just check "Combine Meshes" on UDK import.

Ah thanks i think thats the best way

Also got now a other pronlem when I build the Light it says Overlapping Uv's.
    I try to find a soultion now

Ok I have to create 2nd UV channel ??
  • ForbiddenDonut
    Radiocity wrote: »
    Also got now a other pronlem when I build the Light it says Overlapping Uv's.
    I try to find a soultion now

Ok I have to create 2nd UV channel ??

Yes. You need a second UV channel that contains the light map. It's where the baked lighting information for static meshes is stored.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightMapUnwrapping.html
    http://wiki.polycount.com/LightMap

That should get you started.
  • Radiocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the Links still have no idea about how I can fix it. I keep reading.
  • ForbiddenDonut
    I'm unfamiliar with 4D Cinema in a modeling production pipeline. Are you having trouble finding out how to physically apply a second UV channel or the process of making a proper light map?

UDK has options to automatically generate a second UV (check the static mesh menu options), but often it will be unable to give you the most optimal lighting as if you did it properly yourself.

Edit: Also, I haven't used the 'Combine Meshes' technique brought up earlier, but I'm guessing it would destroy your UVs if they weren't packed originally in a single sheet. That would case overlap errors. You still need a light map, however.
  • Radiocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Edit: Also, I haven't used the 'Combine Meshes' technique brought up earlier, but I'm guessing it would destroy your UVs if they weren't packed originally in a single sheet. That would case overlap errors. You still need a light map, however.

Yes it's true it Destory my Uv's when I combine, when I don't combine the parts are working :)

I think I have to try what r4ptur3 told me