Home Technical Talk

My game asset creation learnings

Replies

• bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I'm playing around with post effect and all and I'm liking it. Its kinda overwhelming for me cause its the first time ever I'm doing stuff like this :). OK so its a desert arid kind of a terrain where the airbase is and so I wanted this arid grungy brownish look. I'm referring some pictures from over the internet (bot UDK). So any tips so as how to achieve such a color scheme. I notice how beautifully all the ambient occlusion soft shadows have been baked out. my assets look flat due to no soft dark shadows(AO) on the transition surface (ground and asset). So any tips?
    reference -
    Main_shot3.jpg
    1271-render_1040.jpg
  • bharatnag
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I've never used it but Unity has a built-in tool for light-mapping. You should be able to bake some AO with that.

Otherwise you could look for a SSAO shader, though often that doesn't look as good but it does work with dynamic objects. I don't know if Unity has one of these in-built.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post processing is very versatile, but only available in Unity Pro I think. http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/comp-ImageEffects.html

Light baking will do some ambient occlusion.

Another way to add it to your meshes is to bake AO into the vertex color. This is supported by free and pro versions, but may require a custom shader (you need a shader that uses vertex color). Vertex color AO won't create shading where things touch the ground, but will make the meshes look better everywhere else. AO vertex color also works well with tiled/modular textures, because the shading is independent of the heavily-repeated UVs.

You may need to add more mesh to make it look good though, because vertex color is just linear gradients from vertex to vertex. I put some info on the wiki about it http://wiki.polycount.com/AmbientOcclusionVertexColor
  • BavaMonster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BavaMonster polycounter lvl 5
    Really good and useful works! I stay tuned.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks @Nosslak for that. I found a work around for that. Thanks @BavaMonster. I'm still learning.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post processing is very versatile, but only available in Unity Pro I think. http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/comp-ImageEffects.html

Light baking will do some ambient occlusion.

Another way to add it to your meshes is to bake AO into the vertex color. This is supported by free and pro versions, but may require a custom shader (you need a shader that uses vertex color). Vertex color AO won't create shading where things touch the ground, but will make the meshes look better everywhere else. AO vertex color also works well with tiled/modular textures, because the shading is independent of the heavily-repeated UVs.

You may need to add more mesh to make it look good though, because vertex color is just linear gradients from vertex to vertex. I put some info on the wiki about it http://wiki.polycount.com/AmbientOcclusionVertexColor

thanks for the info Eric. The developer who is working with me on the game has a unity pro license.I used some image effects and soon realized that they are computationally a bit heavy so I'm only using them to a limit. Ill post some images tonight. I took a look at GI light-mapping. Its doing the trick for me but due to tight deadline I'm in, I'm doing it per asset and then applying it to the prefab to affect every other such asset in the scene.

I don't really know much about vertex color baking and stuff and really right now my goal is to finish it up as quickly as possible so I will take it up some time later. There are a lot of things I'm keeping a record of that need to be explored and you have been a good mentor Eric. Hope that you keep saving me from all the trouble I get into :). Thanks a lot.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK so again I'm having some troubles with light map baking. I have a fairly large scene so when I'm trying to bake the entire scene, unity stops responding. I'm not really getting how bake selected works. For me its replacing the existing light maps with every new object I try to bake. What is the work around when we are using bake selected?
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    playing with unity terrain system for the first time. Ats color map shader was a great help.
    tumblr_mta7b52tmm1s3d03io1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mta7b52tmm1s3d03io2_1280.jpg
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK so yesterday night we had to send some test builds to few of our friends and colleagues and at the last moment we faced so many troubles that should have been taken care of before. Nevertheless, So one major issue was the endless tiling of the terrain mesh. Its a flight simulator game so the plane flies over an endless terrain. So I generated a perfectly tiling height map and the high poly mesh too tiled perfectly without any seams but when I used the same height map with Unity's terrain system, the seams started appearing. I guess its due to the low res of the terrain. So please tell me how can this problem be solved. Or how is this endless terrain issue solved??

sc01.jpg
    sc02.jpg
    sc03.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't used Unity's terrain system, but in UDK they force you to use a height map that has the same number of pixels across, that the landscape mesh has in vertices. So if the landscape mesh is 512 vertices across, the map has to be 512 pixels across.

Also UDK requires the height map to be 16 bits per pixel (not 8 bpp, which is the same as 24 bit color) which prevents stairstepping in the terrain.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mty5p1lxEq1s3d03io1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mty5p1lxEq1s3d03io2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mty5p1lxEq1s3d03io3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mty5p1lxEq1s3d03io4_1280.jpg
    So after days of corrections and tweaking around, I have something definitely more optimised and better than what we had before for the first mission of the game. Its a real pain when It comes to the aesthetics of assembling everything together. Its not perfect but I have a starting point now to build on top of.

http://bharatnag.tumblr.com
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good progress!

Pay attention to texture density. Some of your models have really large pixels compared to their neighbors, so they get really blurry up close.

Another common trick... for grass it's often best to edit the vertex normals, so they point straight up. This helps soften the lighting so the backsides aren't so dark.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eric. Ya I have to work on the texture density and for the color darkness maybe thats due to the unity tree color variation slider. All it does is change the overall brightness according to me.. but Ill look into it thank you
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=doX0wsurgUk

THREYE INC: A NEW DAWN - 08th of October signifies the arrival of THREYE INTERACTIVE, a budding repository of Human Interactive Creative Applications in Simulated 3D Space. Thereye proudly announces the launch of its capability demonstrator, OPERATION MORNING GLORY, a first of its kind Indian Air Force themed, 3D arcade game in India.
    With this, our gifted start up has joined the big league of 3D Game content developers and now aim to get a toehold in the augmented reality expansion sector. In its endeavor to merge real & digital world, it has developed some kick-ass state of the art tech. Do visit our website for some past case studies and to witness the gargantuan challenge we have taken upon our shoulders in collaboration with Team Indus.

Live to Fly, Fly to Slay, Slay to Serve !!!
    Operation Morning Glory!
    A fighter pilot’s Saga

The IAF mission to seek and destroy terrorists and rebels stealing nuclear assets at Shahbaz AFB (Jacobabad) for future use against India, was scrambled off in the air from somewhere in the Western Sector
    Play a module on our website/ download the free entire game: www.threye.com
    Stay tuned for an Android mobile version.

Disclaimer: We are not associated with IAF and have not been endorsed by IAF in any capacity.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. So it has been long that I posted anything here or lets say the work I did was to be kept confidential. At present I working on some low poly assets probably for real time product demos using leap motion. The only question I have is how do you make cubemaps for reflective shaders in Unity 3D? Or is there a place where I can get some of those.
    GE90_UVs.blend.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unity can auto-convert panoramic images into cubemaps, or you can load the six sides manually.

Do a search of these forums, some great cubemaps have been posted recently.
  • bharatnag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible in Unity to have a single mesh with multiple materials referring to different UV sets of the mesh?

I plan to make a runway that is huge. So Im thinking to tiling a txture in uvv set 01( basically have a face uv to stretch over a tileable texture in the texture atlas) and use an overlayed Runway Marking Texture on a normal UV set02. Is there a shader that does this?

Ive done this in 3d programs like Blender, I know Unreal Engine is capable of doing so with its node based material editor. Is it possible in unity?

16364-mats.png