Home General Discussion

First world 3D problems

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
LordSebbington polycounter lvl 6
These are a bit r/firstworldproblems but here you go.

So I'm working all morning with symmetry turned on and while some maps are baking out I go for a wash and a shave. I start from the outside and when I get to my nose I have split second of sheer confusion and disappointment because the other side of my face hasn't been shaved with symmetry too :poly141:

Also, I'm out shopping after a gaming session on Skyrim that went on for too long. I see something I like and immediately have a knee jerk reaction to check for my indicator to see if anyone can see me and if it's safe to pocket it. No Seb, in real life that's called shoplifting and there's no indicator or Thieves' Guild.

Anyone else have any similar experiences?

I'm curious to hear them.

(Like dreaming in dual screen after you got your first DS?)

Replies

• maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Lol, sometimes when drawing or doing home work I for some reason think I can copy and paste, when I'm tired.
  • St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    oh i have this all the time! Anybody got that thing when something goes wrong in real life(like dropping something) and a quick thought flashes through your mind going: CTRL-Z,CTRL-Z...

If only life had a Undo button lol
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The legendary Real Life Undo button. I'd never leave restaurants, just undo and repeat.

I find it fascinating how the brain just adapts and switches to the given interface: real life, programs, games, etc.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ihfgvGeQno"]Playing Tricks on the Mind - Dara O Briain;s Science Club - Series 2: Episode 1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • DesignByKivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DesignByKivi polycounter lvl 11
    I was actually drawing/sketching a few weeks ago for a project of mine on a paper after a long time of working purely with my Intuos. Noticed my left hand doing the CTRL+Z movements from time to time when I wasn't really satisfied with my lines. Bit baffeled there for a second, because nothing happened..

Using the word "bake" in real life has become a bit difficult as well. Try to explain to a non 3d artsy person that you've just baked some textures..
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Stole the words right out of my mouth! Had a quick frustrating thought the other day: "Oh crap why didn't I get the sketchbook with the keyboard [as my left hand was in the ctrl-z position]....wait wat?"

I've totally done the shaving thing before as well. I haven't dreampt in dual screen mode yet but I have had dreams about everything being Minecraft. Like my hands are all blocky and I can't pick things up.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    using a azerty keyboard.
    Games usually do a good job at keeping that in mind, but 3d related programs usually do not.
    It really messes with your brain switching between azerty and qwerty multiple times in a hour.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I use Dvorak thats is annoying. I thought the software I using was broken as I couldnt ctl z at all, kept switching between dvorak and asdf, dvorak worked the other didnt, took ages to work out that the z key was broken.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I CONSTANTLY press CTRL+Z in real life...I have undo binded to one of my wacom pen buttons, so I try to press buttons on my normal pencil all the time, and on the desk or the paper with the other hand.....xD
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    When my oven broke I said that my bake killed the render farm.

Ok... so, that's totally not true. But, my oven did break down, and I did occasionally have the render farm crash while baking light maps.
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    Lord Sebbington - I have the EXACT same issue. It's weird as hell. I'll do something like scratch my head, or touch my face, and will be a tiny bit surprised when the same thing doesn't happen on the opposing side.

(I've been called crazy)
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool to know I'm not the only one with the symmetry problem.

I don't think I'd be able to deal with multiple keyboard layouts on top of the various interfaces. When I change programs I tend to cycle through a few navigation setups until it's the right one, I don't necessarily identify each setup by name for each program - it feels a bit like muscle memory and almost like a tic when it's not the right one and I have to change.

I realised yesterday I do try to rotate objects in real life without actually touching them.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    When watching youtube videos or live streaming of people using 3D packages. I sometimes find myself press Alt and trying to click drag to navigate around the model....

I also press the imaginary CTRL-Z a lot in real life.
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I use to have the "Ctrl-Z" thing happen all the time, but not so much anymore.

One thing that's been bugging me out lately is when I'm on my sports bike, when I go to turn the bike off...I look for the "alt" button on my left hand control and get confuzzled at first but then I'm like..."AhHh, you dumbasss"! All that's needed to turn the bike off is either turn the key like a car, or to properly turn it off, hit the button on the right hand control then turning the key off. When I go ride with friends, and they see me looking all re-re trying to turn the bike off, they just give me a weird look...I dont even try to explain since they dont do any type of 3d work. I just tell them it's from being on my 'pooter too much and brain farts.