Home Dota 2

Skeleton King - Bone Tabar

Hey everyone ^^

Really liked the idea of everyone being able to make stuff for Dota 2. So it inspired me to make my first in-game low poly model. A weapon for Skeleton King.

I first made a sketch and then refined it by looking at some real references:

01.jpg

I started with zspheres and completed its sculpt:

02.jpg

After importing the high poly into 3ds Max, I made the low poly model over it and assigned the smoothing groups:

03.jpg

So I unwrapped the model, baked both the normal and occlusion maps using xNormal. Using the occlusion map I painted the color map:

04.jpg

05.jpg

I also did a story about it P: And made this final shot for it (in-game render):

06.jpg

On the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=169298713

Hope you like!

Replies

• keyan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to JaggsaW, I made the blades bigger and shrunk the top part of the bone. I simply used editable poly on the low poly model.

07.jpg

I also changed the diffuse color of the bone. And as for the blades I tried lowering the amount of metalness (the blue channel of the mask1) but resulted in a more aluminum like metal...

Anyways here is the result:

09.jpg

Any CnC are welcome :)
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    The skull on the weapon is very out of place for the weapon and seems to just be stuck on and not actually incorporated into the weapon in any way. Also the weapon seems to be weighted very strangely and almost looks upside down. Honestly backstory aside, a bone axe could be a good idea but I feel it needs to be fleshed out as a design (no pun intended) and be given more features. It would be better to overconcept it and then remove bits that are unnecessary than to underconcept it and need to add more.. if that makes sense? Hopefully I dont come across too blunt because the basic idea is solid.
  • keyan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Pipotchi for your well written feedback. The reason I put the bigger blade on top was because of the boundaries on the original sword, I though it may penetrate the ground as he walks. But I just gave it a try; flipped the axe and put it in the game, didn't even touch the ground x) And I agree about the skull.

I may come up with a better design and redo the whole thing.

Thanks again!
  • keyan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a redesign, I went with a simpler and more proper concept. I personally prefer it this way:

08.jpg

The in-game shot:

10.jpg

Let me know what you think!
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    I personally thing that it kind of seems like you super glued those pieces axe edges to the bone instead of placing them logically. They look sort of out of place. If you put some sort of ring on it that connected them like in this:1.jpg7b8536a2-3a10-4650-bdff-b4ab52e415eeLarge.jpg it would look better. :( Keep working on it man. There is definitely improvement ;)
  • keyan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Insaneophobia, you know I also thought of that... I kinda tried to imply that the bone is crack open and the blades are bolted in. But since that's pretty small I doubted if it shows.

I'll probably try to come up with a better design.
  • keyan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did another design for the blade:

13.jpg

A bit more logical as Insaneophobia suggested.

11.jpg
    12.jpg

3ds Max shot:

14.jpg

I scaled down the skull's height in the final maps for the game:

15.jpg

I personally think it has improved thanks to your feedbacks.

Again I appreciate any CnC.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    It's way better now... But it would be way way better if you removed that skull. It looks really misplaced, and way too drawn on man. But good work! I like how seriously you want to improve and take critism respect man!.
  • keyan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again Insaneophobia! I agree it's drawn on, unfortunately I reached the max tri count, so it has no geometry :/

I'm thinking of changing the color and material of the skull to match the yellow carvings. Though because of the small size of the model, having nothing may be a better idea.
  • keyan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK so I kept the skull but tried to make it look better P: On the low poly model, I removed some tris from blades and the bone so I could add geometry for the skull.

ZBrush:
    17.jpg

3ds Max:
    16.jpg

And the in-game shot:
    18.jpg

Thanks a lot for all the feedbacks! Any CnC are welcome ^^

On the Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=169298713