Home General Discussion

Story behind getting your 1st job

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys and girls.

I just landed my 1st jr.artist job (Hooray!!) And I wanted to share the story on how I got it so others who are still searching can benefit from it. Plus I think it’s a pretty interesting topic. It would be great if you guys could share as well.

Getting the 1st job is always the hardest. Hopefully these stories will help some people. Or the very less boost morales.

So I guess I’ll start.

I live in NYC and basically if you didn’t know, there’ aren’t many game studios out here. There is only 1 studio that I was interested in working for.

But they weren’t hiring jrs 3 months ago when I graduated. Still I figured I’ll apply anyway. I wanted to email HR but for the life of me I couldn’t find her email anywhere on the internet. So I just randomly guessed it (Which turned out correct) Cover letter, CV, folio link sent. But didn’t hear back from her. 2 weeks later, a env position was posted on their site. Awesome! so I applied through the site. No answer, F*ck!

3 weeks after that, they posted a Jr position and only wanted locals! Holy Sh*t! that’s me!!! Again I applied through the site. And nothing.... not even a rejection. That was my last shot. I guess they just didn’t like my work. Oh well.

3 weeks pasted again and I was checking polycount like I do everyday. Someone posted Jon Jones’ portfolio tips that he tweeted. I’m a huge UFC fan and I thought “Sweet the champ has some good tips” So I was curious and wanted to know who Jon was. His PC account has a link to his linkedin. And whoa!! He’s the guy that the jr. artist would be working under. What a crazy coincidence.

Here’s my chance, I sent him a pm asking for advice on my site. I wanted to pick his brain and ask him what I was doing wrong. Was my work not good enough? Also I politely asked him “WTF Jon!, why didn’t I get a call back?!”

He responded, and get this. He told me my portfolio never got to him. And that he really liked my work and to expect an art test soon. What? did that just happened? So bam, I took the test. Nervous as hell, finished in a week. Sent it back for him to review. He went through it and gave me a ton of feedback on it and it sounded to me like it was a no go, but then they invited me in for an interview! I went in and it went well. And now I’ll be starting work tomorrow. Finally!

So yea that’s my story. Hopefully Jon will talk about what was going on at his end.

So polycount, what’s your story?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    There's a big thread with stories - they usually contain a little more background though. link

I kind of did the same thing, I applied at Mythic and didn't hear anything so I googled their address & got the office number. I called and was forwarded to the hiring manager who said he hadn't gotten to my application yet but he would be happy to look at it while we were on the phone.

I was sent an art test, I made the mistake of asking if it was ok to do it in Maya, I was told they would prefer Max. I spent a few days learning Max while I worked on the test. Towards the end a tornado tore a path of destruction about a mile up the road from my house, knocking out power & internet so I submitted my final test from my work computer. About a month later I moved up to Virginia for my first day at the office :)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    post that story in the link Justin posted.

I love reading origin stories.
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    There's a big thread with stories - they usually contain a little more background though. link

Whoa, way more detailed. Sorry guys. Didn't mean to double post.
    I'll post on that thread soon with more details of my origin.

Maybe if people want, can post here with just a quick abridged version of their 1st time story here.