Home General Discussion

Making a new, free, portfolio CMS for artists, input?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
PollySong polycounter lvl 14
Hi. A year or so ago I sat down and started making a new portfolio site for myself and accidentally made a CMS. By now it's a fully functional portfolio/blog system with an admin backend and a few bells and whistles.

The thing is, it's not really there yet (=ready for release) and I wanted to see if there's an interest/need for yet another CMS. Here are the highlights:

• Simple to install, update and use (installs itself and is updated from admin panel with a click).
  • Aimed towards artists wanting to show their work.
  • Lots of ways to show images and videos: full screen images, thumbnail gallery, stretch, slide etc etc. More styles easily added on request.
  • Everything included: upload and edit files, descriptions, thumbnails etc from within admin panel. Upload a super res image and the system resizes it as needed (on the server, to save bandwidth).
  • Files are automatically recognized and parsed on upload.
  • Handles images, videos, audio and soon Unity files.
  • Clean, functional design, yet...
  • Very customizable. Every gallery/blog/section can have their own settings or just use the 'global' ones.
  • Settings can be saved and loaded, kinda like "skins" in other apps.
  • Built in modules: gallery and blog styles are 'plugins', easy to update and create new.
  • All pages can be shared to facebook/twitter and every media file can have a permalink page.
  • Search engine friendly + built-in google analytics, just add your code
  • Pages for About, CV, Contact.
  • etc

The question is: what would it take for you to try this out if I made a beta? What would you like to see? (This is meant to be used on your own domain, no hosting included.)

Some very early screenshots of the admin panel:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4haj8yxihlz9ppt/7d3jqCtAuO#/

(Please ignore the "design" and a few errors you see, everything will be fixed)

Cheers.