Home Unreal Engine

Lag issues with UDK

Lately I've been experiencing lag and non-responsive issues with UDK, when I go to create and import textures/materials in the content browser. This never happened before I updated to July's version. I'm not sure if it has to do with possible missing files or a few UPK's having ambiguous names, as that warning has come up as of lately too. If anyone has any ideas to why UDK is having such a fit performing the simplest of actions for me, let me know asap.

Replies

• Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    You're seeing the issue when you import textures? How big are the textures? UDK typically compresses each texture on import, so if you're trying to work with 2048's or higher it may become unresponsive for a few seconds while it chews on the file.
  • ehrinmanske
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger,

the textures are 1024's, and my computer's specs are all what UDK recommends to have. I'm thinking it's a ram issue or an issue with the July update, because I never had lag issues before updating to July.
  • ehrinmanske
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I figured it out with the help of a programmer friend of mine. For those who are having lag issues with UDK, try running it at 32 bit instead of 64. Don't you just hate it when the simplest solution is the one you completely miss?
  • MooseCommander
    So I figured it out with the help of a programmer friend of mine. For those who are having lag issues with UDK, try running it at 32 bit instead of 64. Don't you just hate it when the simplest solution is the one you completely miss?

Just out of curiosity, why is the 32bit version better? This goes against most logic, so I want to know the reasoning behind that.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Just out of curiosity, why is the 32bit version better? This goes against most logic, so I want to know the reasoning behind that.
    There is no logic, most likely Epic just screwed up something, like a bug, period.