Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M16A4 Assault Rifle + US Marine

Inspired by Battlefield 3, I managed to create this M16A4 assault rifle. It was modeled off my airsoft rifle with help from reference photos on Google Images. The rifle is completely 1:1 in scale and I have tried to model every single detail I could spot.

Here are some wire renders:

dfbRVtC.jpg

This was rendered with a simple Mental Ray material.

And here is the rifle, textured and finished (rendered with V-Ray):

bGsj3AT.jpg
Tc2Obi4.jpg
H2G7Qqv.jpg

Not only that, I am currently modeling a Marine for this project. This is as far as I've come (also rendered with V-Ray):

W9NReqE.jpg

Any critics are appreciated. Either for the rifle itself, or this Marine! :)

Thanks!
Gnasty

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Its looking good, the render is nice. Are you sure the bullet ejection is so round ?
    Something feels not right in the reciever area, but im no expert.

No offense, but why do we always see the same weapons ? Its not like the M4 variants are a godgift to design or something. Patriotism in the USA?
    The AK maybe is a genius design, but thats functionality wise.
    There are thousands of interesting weapons with exceptional forms and design, and 60% of what we see here are AKs or M4 variants. (maybe a scar once in a while)

You have to realize that its not only potentially boring for the audience (be it guys here or for an art director), but also is it a huge challenge to overcome all the other ones. The model has been perfectioned dozens of times, and yours has to be godlike to stand over the crowd.
    If you model some kind of other gun, nobody can compare yours with the others. Yours is potentially the best out there, and you can present something new to the viewers of your work or employers which is special and unseen. Just by the right subject, your chances are much better.

But i dont want to talk your work down, it came out nice and presentation is top. Just maybe consider doing things that havent been done over and over. Show that you can think outside the box, that you are special in any regard.

The laser pointer is really cool and has interesting forms per example , Id like to see more like that
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    Its looking good, the render is nice. Are you sure the bullet ejection is so round ?

No offense, but why do we always see the same weapons ? Its not like the M4 variants are a godgift to design or something. Patriotism in the USA?
    There are thousands of interesting weapons with exceptional forms and design, and 60% of what we see here are AKs or M4 variants. (maybe a scar once in a while)

You have to realize that its not only potentially boring for the audience (be it guys here or for an art director), but also is it a huge challenge to overcome all the other ones. The model has been perfectioned dozens of times, and yours has to be godlike to stand over the crowd.
    If you model some kind of other gun, nobody can compare yours with the others. Yours is potentially the best out there, and you can present something new to the viewers of your work or employers which is special and unseen. Just by the right subject, your chances are much better.

But i dont want to talk your work down, it came out nice and presentation is top. Just maybe consider doing things that havent been done over and over. Show that you can think outside the box, that you are special in any regard.

The laser pointer is really cool and has interesting forms per example , Id like to see more like that

That is a strange way to see a weapon like this. The M16 is a common gun, but I still want to create it because of the multiple shapes that I see as a challenge. As an artist in the industry or not is it not our job to create assets/environments etc? The m16 is a difficult model to create and is a very popular choice because it looks pretty amazing. It also proves that you can create shapes this complex.

You know how much I love your stuff Gnasty, I hope this is just the beginning :)
  • Gnasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »

Thanks for you input!

No, the ejection port is not right. I'm aware of it, but haven't had much time to fix it.

I understand your concern, but the reason why I chose to model an M4 variant of gun is because it is probably one of the most complex and advance looking gun, design-wise (just like my friend storm said above).

Also be aware of that this is my first model ever that I have finished. So be that as it may, it's a generic gun but it's the challenge itself of actually modeling it as authentic as possible that should make this particular model stand out.

And for your info, I'm not American. So the patriotism is not here in this case.
  • danscott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW! this is really good.; I really love the texture work, how you included all the little details like bits of sand around the grooves.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Ooh, that assault rifle is ace! Those V-Ray renders do it justice for sure.

As for the Marine, I'm really liking the complexity of the helmet. Though one thing that threw me off a little are his sunglasses - they seem a bit too simple.. like regular sunglasses you'd see on anybody and not the common tactical eyewear fighters wear during deployment.

If I were you, I'd probably go for something more along the lines of this:

APEL2.jpg

eyewear_c207.jpg
  • Gnasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh, that assault rifle is ace! Those V-Ray renders do it justice for sure.

As for the Marine, I'm really liking the complexity of the helmet. Though one thing that threw me off a little are his sunglasses - they seem a bit too simple.. like regular sunglasses you'd see on anybody and not the common tactical eyewear fighters wear during deployment.

If I were you, I'd probably go for something more along the lines of this:

[Image]

[Image]
    Thanks! :)

The sunglasses are actually authentic Revision Vipertail glasses, as seen here:

Vipertails-with-riverines.jpg

I only modeled them because I have them at home and I though they look cool. Anyway, I might as well model some new ones that fit a Marine more, like you said some ESS glasses of some sort.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I just think those I posted look more badass, but that's just me :) - everybody has their own taste in things, but you should definitely go for what you think looks best! Can't wait to see more progress on him!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Stormfreek wrote: »
    That is a strange way to see a weapon like this. The M16 is a common gun, but I still want to create it because of the multiple shapes that I see as a challenge. As an artist in the industry or not is it not our job to create assets/environments etc? The m16 is a difficult model to create and is a very popular choice because it looks pretty amazing. It also proves that you can create shapes this complex.

You know how much I love your stuff Gnasty, I hope this is just the beginning :)

You are ofc right, it is your job to create assets. But you have to see yourself as an artist, not as a machine. You want and need to prove that you can create things better than the other ones, and you need to sell yourself.

When I check applications, and I see guy A, modeling a M4 and guy B modeling a HS Produkt VHS2 or something on 100% the same skill level, the special one always wins by far. Im never going to think "ive seen this better before" with the unique one.

Thing is, by choosing the right subject you can present a great design to people which may surprise and amaze them, even tho the design is not from yourself. You show that you have taste, can think for yourself and are unique and don't have to fear comparison with people better than you.
    There will always be people with more experience.

It dosnt matter that that one guy modeling a better X works at blizzard and is never aviable to me (hypothetic employer) Ive seen the better X from him (and others), and thats where my ladder is, and I use this ladder to judge yours.

You know what I mean ?

For patriotism, I was just throwing this in the room, playing the harsh critiq again here, sorry that I spammed your thread with it ;)

Who am I to judge what you pick, I just hope giving some food for thought
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Maybe you have posted it before but I swear I have seen that m16 render some places else? maybe another thread on this forum?
  • Gnasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 wrote: »
    Maybe you have posted it before but I swear I have seen that m16 render some places else? maybe another thread on this forum?
    Yeah, I actually did post it here before. Got some new enhanced renders now though and I thought I should repost it :)
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    still looking awesome!

nice work on the marines head too.
  • Gnasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot wrote: »
    still looking awesome!

nice work on the marines head too.
    Glad to see some old buds here! Thanks mate :)
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Marines´ M16A4 arent issued with PEQ-15s.. but with PEQ-16

peq16.jpg

Also not sure what that "rag" is supposed to be on the stock.

Your Flashhider is also wrong.

The model has been perfectioned dozens of times, and yours has to be godlike to stand over the crowd.
    I concur.. there arent MANY M4/M16 models that have been perfectioned.
    Just because most people on this board, do not know how some parts look like, and are blinded /amazed by some nice renders and presentations, does not mean that a model is perfect.
    Same with the ak.
    Dozens have been made, yet, only one or 2 really struck me as "awesome".

they seem a bit too simple
    Had to giggle..
    Look up the KISS Principle.

Because every piece of crap a soldier sports is either sf or high-speed-low-drag.
    my ass..
  • Gnasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel wrote: »
    Marines´ M16A4 arent issued with PEQ-15s.. but with PEQ-16

peq16.jpg

Also not sure what that "rag" is supposed to be on the stock.

Your Flashhider is also wrong.

Just because most people on this board, do not know how some parts look like, and are blinded /amazed by some nice renders and presentations, does not mean that a model is perfect.
    Same with the ak.

Had to giggle..
    Look up the KISS Principle.

Because every piece of crap a soldier sports is either sf or high-speed-low-drag.
    my ass..
    Do you really have to be harsh when criticizing?

In my defense for the AN/PEQ 15. I have seen a couple Marines issued with the PEQ 15. Plus it even says so on their website: http://www.marines.com/operating-forces/equipment/gear/peq-15-peq-16

Please bring more valid proof if you still think they don't use the 15 version.

I know the flash hider is wrong. I will try and correct it some time. Thanks for pointing it out though.

About the rag. As I said, I was inspired by Battlefield 3. The M16 in BF3 has a rag on its stock. I don't see the point of having it there, but I think it looks nice nonetheless. Now that is an artistic point of view where I'm not going for authenticity. However, I will try make it look better, but if not I will just remove it.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Well, it sounds harsh, if you take it for that ;)

Dont mix up the last stuff i wrote tho. its not towards you.

As for the rag, i´d replace it with something more suitable.
    Eg a tourniquet, quick-clot package or FFD taped to the stock.
    A mate of mine saw your M16 and immediatly said: "Whats that on the stock??" "No idea"

Artistically i dont really see how these enhance the rifle in any way.
    Technically i cant see no use either.

Both PEQ´s are used, however. the PEQ-16 is the predominant one used.
    Some units have it, most the 16´s.
    15´s being phased out or shifted to other units.

One more thing.
    You probably know, the bolt carrier.. its airsoftish.
    The indent is not existing.
  • Gnasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel wrote: »
    Well, it sounds harsh, if you take it for that ;)

Dont mix up the last stuff i wrote tho. its not towards you.

As for the rag, i´d replace it with something more suitable.
    Eg a tourniquet, quick-clot package or FFD taped to the stock.
    A mate of mine saw your M16 and immediatly said: "Whats that on the stock??" "No idea"

Artistically i dont really see how thos enhances the rifle in anyway.
    Technically i cant see no use either.

Both PEQ´s are used, however. the PEQ-16 is the predominant one used.
    Some units have it, most the 16´s.
    15´s being phased out or shifted to other units.

One more thing.
    You probably know, the bolt carrier.. its airsoftish.
    The indent is not existing.
    Thanks for the words. I will correct the things you pointed out as they are actually quite obvious now when I think of it.

As for the PEQ box. Still, they use it and I don't see the point of me modeling a whole new box just because they are CURRENTLY phasing the old one out. This Marine might as well represent as it's from 2010 or anything. I like the PEQ 15 more. It looks better, and I chose it over the other because of it :)
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Gnasty wrote: »
    Do you really have to be harsh when criticizing?

Welcome to Polycount! We're mean because we care.
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »

hah, most crit is good crit! :)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Same with the ak.

While I cannot deny this , you cant forget that it is a art profession, not CAD / Industrial design. Credibility is more worth than realism. Nobody expects or even asks for a perfect reflection in this branch. If laserpointer B looks better than A but is not usually used, then B it is.

You seem to have the RL knowledge about this kind of stuff, but that is the minority. How many people know such detail about guns ? > 1% easily.
    Fancy renders and textures + good modeling is what anyone can see, and looking better is basically better.

+ most of the things can be easily justified. What if someone put part A on weapon B ? It may not ship that way, but its plausible.

Maybe that guys PEQ16 broke and he put his old PEQ15 on ? I could write 15 reasons easily why it would be that way if I searched
    haha this is like my motto, Im not sure if helping or making enemys tho ;)