Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ganondorf, Zelda Project

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
suspectlogic polycounter lvl 13
hey polycount, some friends and I are recreating one of our favorite levels from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. We're choosing the forest temple, and we might expand our scope once the goal has been reached.

I'm trying to recreate ganondorf while blending the styles he's had over the years. I'd appreciate some feedback while I'm at it.
Club_ID_by_Ganondorf_Fanclub.jpg

Here's some turnarounds, sorry about the hair, it's my first time using fibermesh :P

turnaround.jpg

with his mask

phantomganon2.jpgphantomganon1jpg.jpg

thanks for looking, I'll keep everyone posted on the progress we're making

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    not a huge fan of the mask, it kind of removes the distinction of his face, and makes him just another character.
  • suspectlogic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i could just lose the mask if it wasn't a part of the character. I'll try to see what i can do to make it more interesting Phantom_Ganon_%28Ocarina_of_Time%29.png
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    with the mask thats actually phantom ganon, not ganondorf himself.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, but like he said, they are doing the Forest Temple, which includes phantom ganon. (Not the real Ganondorf.)

I'd like to see a close up of his face.
  • mercy0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not liking how the cape looks from the front view. I would taper the ends of the cape a little more so that it looks better from the front. Right now it looks a bit like a full length cape was suddenly cut off.
  • ZombieJesus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the character is really nice.
    i think that though the cape has itself coming off a bit flat even with it being wavy if that makes sense?

also its a shame that the mask will hide that detail but either way they look great good detailed modeling keep it up
  • suspectlogic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry guys, i should have been a little more clear. This is a character i'm making to fit the role as phantom ganon and ganondorf. Which means I have to make him look decent with and without the mask.
    mercy0 wrote: »
    I'm not liking how the cape looks from the front view. I would taper the ends of the cape a little more so that it looks better from the front. Right now it looks a bit like a full length cape was suddenly cut off.
    the character is really nice.
    i think that though the cape has itself coming off a bit flat even with it being wavy if that makes sense?

also its a shame that the mask will hide that detail but either way they look great good detailed modeling keep it up

I can see what you guys mean. I'll try to make the cape a little more dynamic.

Fenyce wrote: »
    Yeah, but like he said, they are doing the Forest Temple, which includes phantom ganon. (Not the real Ganondorf.)

I'd like to see a close up of his face.

I've made some updates here.

SideFace-1.jpg~original

frontface-1.jpg~original
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well,I personally like the masks,they're unique design!
  • RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Longer cape! :P
  • mercy0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should uh... the beard is so well groomed for a villain
  • alphacentauri789
    Excellent model, I absolutely love the detail!
  • Faux Bard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I distinctly remember Phantom Ganon's mask/face in the game having the visual impression of an animal skull that had been warped/compressed to fit over a human head, which made it both creepy and memorable.

If you want the Phantom Ganon mask to really 'pop' more (for lack of a better word) you need to actually lower the eye sockets and raise the gum line on the teeth. I know it looks like a mask at first glance, but if you really study it, it's more like an entirely different face - one with more inhuman, animalistic proportions to make it look creepier. If you really look, the eye-holes are down around where Ganon's cheekbones would be - lower and more to either side of the head, like an animal skull. The sockets are also fairly larger in the refference image, giving it a more skull-like appearance, and you don't see human eyes in the sockets, just glowing circles in darkness. The teeth are also longer than human teeth, meaning the space between the eye socket and upper jawline is actually fairly thin - again, more like an animal. For some reason the reference concept art doesn't have a nose-hole, but if you still wanted to put one, it would be best placed directly between the two eye sockets - see a cow or dog skull for some good reference on that.

Also, if you look closely, the mask/face has a second set of similar but smaller horns jutting backwards over the ears, covering them up and leaving an even more inhuman over-all impression.

You could probably take the forehead doohickey on human ganondorf's head and slap a scaled-up version on Phantom Ganon's mask/face to take up the extra forehead real estate.

Also worth noting that the horns on the mask both in-game and in the concept art seemed to have somehow been tied to the skull with those brown straps/wrappings, giving it a more 'crafted' look - fitting, since Ganondorf 'made' the ghost with evil magic. This means they should probably be less uniform-looking - eg. more variety in shape and depth, like the individual straps are wrapping around/over each other.
  • JacobRMooreArt
    I love the armor detail. It's incredible. I can't wait for the texture set to be completed.
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking great!

My only comment that hasn't already been voiced above is:

"Are you going to keep his Gerudian cloth?" the cloth he has on him in the OoT version, and wrapped around his sword in the Twilight Princess version has always been a subtle indicator of Ganondorf's presence.
  • Elend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The face could use a little more detail on the upper brow. He could also use some more well defined cheekbones. Also, I’m not sure if this is a design preference of yours but in most of the images he looks much more muscular in the upper body than you have modeled in.
  • suspectlogic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faux Bard wrote: »
    I distinctly remember Phantom Ganon's mask/face in the game having the visual impression of an animal skull that had been warped/compressed to fit over a human head, which made it both creepy and memorable.

If you want the Phantom Ganon mask to really 'pop' more (for lack of a better word) you need to actually lower the eye sockets and raise the gum line on the teeth. I know it looks like a mask at first glance, but if you really study it, it's more like an entirely different face - one with more inhuman, animalistic proportions to make it look creepier. If you really look, the eye-holes are down around where Ganon's cheekbones would be - lower and more to either side of the head, like an animal skull. The sockets are also fairly larger in the refference image, giving it a more skull-like appearance, and you don't see human eyes in the sockets, just glowing circles in darkness. The teeth are also longer than human teeth, meaning the space between the eye socket and upper jawline is actually fairly thin - again, more like an animal. For some reason the reference concept art doesn't have a nose-hole, but if you still wanted to put one, it would be best placed directly between the two eye sockets - see a cow or dog skull for some good reference on that.

Also, if you look closely, the mask/face has a second set of similar but smaller horns jutting backwards over the ears, covering them up and leaving an even more inhuman over-all impression.

You could probably take the forehead doohickey on human ganondorf's head and slap a scaled-up version on Phantom Ganon's mask/face to take up the extra forehead real estate.

Also worth noting that the horns on the mask both in-game and in the concept art seemed to have somehow been tied to the skull with those brown straps/wrappings, giving it a more 'crafted' look - fitting, since Ganondorf 'made' the ghost with evil magic. This means they should probably be less uniform-looking - eg. more variety in shape and depth, like the individual straps are wrapping around/over each other.

I like the mask a little better now that I adjusted the maxilla. the eye sockets could probably still be a little lower now that i'm looking at it again. his emblem mount(not included in the photos below) should be able to double as straps for his mask. I have noted your suggestion for adding straps to the base of the horns, it would definitely look more interesting. I'll incorporate that in my next update.

screenshot19.jpg%7Eoriginal
    screenshot22.jpg%7Eoriginalscreenshot21.jpg%7Eoriginal

I'd like to see a turntable of just the head by itself, without fibermesh. I feel like there is a lot to critique there in terms of anatomy, but it's difficult with all that stuff on him.

Here's a nice image of his head.

ganondorf_by_theminttu-d5fwoo8.jpg

sure thing, I'm still not happy with his face this far along, some critiques would be great

front.jpg%7Eoriginal
    side.jpg%7Eoriginal
    quarter.jpg%7Eoriginal