Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: 3 Hand-Painted Environments

Hello there! I hope I can get some critiques and feedback on my
environments. This is my first time posting on Polycount, so I'm a bit excited and terrified at the same time..

These environments are still in Maya, so I plan to put the first and second environment in UDK and my last environment in Unity.

My first one is supposed to play with the concept of bottled ships and I decided to create an environment that may possibly be over desert sands or the sea and have a colony of these bottled ships.
ship_4_zpsef3b6752.jpg
ship_3_zps5acc833d.jpg

The second one is a Medieval environment that had been overgrown by foliage.

Medieval2_zps9ff1bf0d.jpg
Medieval1_zpscf49c06c.jpg

Here's with Mental Ray render...

Render_5_zpsdb45ca54.jpeg

Finally, my last environment will involve an abandoned town in a snowy region.

building_3_zpsc0f7fdfe.jpg
building_2_zpsbffa7de3.jpg
building_4_zpsf75cadbb.jpg

Here's the blockout in Unity...
2_zpsa168206a.jpg

I haven't implemented the normal and spec maps for these environments yet, but I'll post the tiling hand-painted textures used for these three environments.

Thank you all for viewing this thread! I hope this can be a great learning experience.

Replies

• Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Uh.
    Everything seems rather chaotic to me, also the renders are really bad. You can't see or recognize much. Think of composition while placing your meshes.

That second scene could use work on the colors, it's not harmonic.

Your handpainted textures do look nice, as far as I can tell, I'd like to see some better renders/screens and some flats to give some better critique.
  • Freyven
    Thank you for the critique! I knew the composition of my meshes were making the scene feel chaotic, i'm glad someone was able to point it out. I'll make sure to clean up the second scene and figure a way to get the colors to be harmonious. Thank you very much!
  • mercy0
    The lighting needs to be redone, preferably in a game engine, or marmoset. The bricks in the foreground are too flat. The texture on your pine tree also looks off, perhaps it needs to be scaled down a bit. The last environment is also tiling too obviously, perhaps a little variation on the textures? I do really, really like your roof texture second environment.
  • alphacentauri789
    Overall, I love the textures that are used in these scenes. However, I do agree that the scenes need to be more well thought out in the aspect of placing props, and objects. The renders do not do it justice, the composition and selection of beauty shots need to be thought out more. As for the last scene, I love the textures but I feel as if they are to unrealistically clean, they need more dirtying up, some grunge here and there, but I love the direction you are taking this in. I would love to see more shots of these environments in Unity or UDK.
  • OnyxRook
    Offline / Send Message
    OnyxRook polycounter lvl 8
    I think the main thing that's going wrong with the pine trees is that the alphas are completely flat. When you view them from a certain angle like this, it makes it look like the tree has become extremely sparse. If you bent each plane I think you'd see a drastic improvement.
  • Faux Bard
    In the second pic from your abandoned snowy town, the tiles of the stone columns out front are way too visually repetitive to the point that I can't even tell what they are supposed to be from this distance. If you make some variations of that tile (less snow being a good place to start), and distribute them more randomly based on where snow would logically condense, go a long way towards making it look less like Minecraft.
  • Elend
    The cork for the bottle could use a different texture. Try using various hard edged geometrical shapes instead of circles. The bricks on the second image in the top left could use some more variation as you can easily detect the tiling of the texture. For the last image I would suggest adding some kind of outdoor lighting so you can see more detail in the buildings and the rest of your environment.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I think you need to scope these environments way back. Is there a reason why you're doing three hand-painted environments? Are these for an assignment or personal project?
  • Hydro707
    Overall I like your hand painted textures and your models look great. However, for the textures the only thing that's bothering me is the cork on the bottle kinda looks more like a sponge rather than a cork. I think the only thing you need to fix is to use a better render software and position a better camera for your screenshots because they seems too closed in on your environment.