Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HP - Super Heavy Tank Scene!

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Shrike interpolator
Hey guys, here is my "final" shot from my highpoly warhammer 40k Stormblade

(old thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123892)

Took me 2-3 weeks of freetime modeling on a terrible skill level, a day of photoshopping all my renders together and a day rendering passes out relentlessly

All done in Cinema 4D / Photoshop

Stormblades.jpg

I plan doing a variant with text, like a promotion for a nonexisting game

This is my rundown for my render passes

Rundown.png

Main Reference:
159549_md_Baneblade_Fellblade_Imperial_Fists.jpg

Could have done better stuff material and settings wise but i was too limited by hardware :/ but im really happy how it turned out afterall

Shopped in a soldier to give proportions and there is tons of post process work all in all in photoshop.

What could I improve ? What do you think ? Harsh critique is the best critique

Replies

• s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    only the render passes, High, and ref are loading for me. But by the render passes, Looks cool. Would like to see the final render :)
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    oh snap , huh it worked before, fixed now

heres the link if it still dosnt work

http://s24.postimg.org/kz2ndhpdh/Tank_Scene.jpg
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking sharp! I might have tried some paint on the panels to add a touch of flavor. Its overall very brown and grey. It all appears to be the same material atm. Could define the tracks as a different material and do a variety of metals on the mass of the tank just for a bit of variation.

Was the base render for this textured/uv'd ? Or is this procedural?
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Well its all painted one color, changed the chains now already a bunch better , but probably going to do a new pass for the reflective metals to make it more diverse, they didnt come out well and look nearly the same as the painted ones due to the strong lighting

Didnt have a UV for anything, all procedural
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    This is really badass, I'm not sure I understand what you've done with the materials (Still noob with Materials :P) but I really like the solid base colours that the models have, the way you had them red in your other thread. That's my only crit though!
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Well i basically rendered out different materials and used masks /alpha in photoshop to paint them on. With a full rusty render, I could paint rust where I wanted with a brush per example.

Now im struggling how I should proceed, I planned some kind of composition with text, but im not sure if I should go for a classical war propaganda thing

vintage_military_giveem_hell_poster-rea76d162a99b47cd83011b5661e68890_w1k_8byvr_324.jpg

or maybe somd kind of "looking through binoculars" head up display with sci-fi holograms and such, just a lot more complex things then and without toning the colors, but im not sure if it still has the binocular charme without

Night-Vision-Binoculars-HUD-682x383.jpg

what do you think ? Also it seems pretty hard finding the right font for this
  • St.Sabath
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    No dont do the binothing man!,after all the hard comp work you put in,it would destroy your image,i suggest making it a Warhammer propaganda poster for sure,image will still read well and you could add extra parallax by using stylish banner overlays on top,but keep the poster in typical warhammer style!
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Ok so I decided to just leave it as is because I couldnt think of anything special and had a lot to do

However, I just downloaded the trial of photoshop CC, and while photoshop is my life, I never saw a reason to upgrade (and CC is not cheap either)

And while it seems that there are nearly no new things, there are 2 killer features however, first you can use the ultra complex filters on normal images which were only aviable for 32 bit RAW images before, and second, that new pixel sampling algorithm is insane.

You can literally double the size of any of your images, and it looks fine. You easily have 75% of the original quality which is just like black magic. Before, upsampling made everything just a blurry mess.

I took my original tank image, doubled the size with the new preserve details algorithm, and it looks like it was made in that size. (blurry and noisy stuff is from my bad texturing) Also I used the new RAW filters to get colors better and the night scene more lively.

jhe9.jpg

its not the best example since many things were low res at the original but still, try it out
  • silkroadgame
    Good textures!They make your piece awesome.