Home Unreal Engine

MIC Warning messag!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
tuxmask75 polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,, I have an onscreen message in skyblue color that wont go away while playing the game.

MIC: SetScalarParameterValue : Modifying'WavyDistortionMaterial_INST' durning gameplay. ParamName: Z_Value

I have something set up in kismet that uses player position to change paramiters in an MIC.

kismet has some of these nods:
Get Location and rotation nod, get vector components nod, set scalarParam nod.... anyways it works perfect besides that message.

Anyone know how to disable the message ? or maybe is there a way to disable all messages all together? Why the hell is UDK even displaying messages if everything works correctly?!

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    I am getting this message as well ... was wondering the same thing. The material I am using seems to change correctly (driven by kismet). I'm not too worried tho. As long as it works I can always toggle cinematic mode to trash the messages.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    This warning is here because you are changing at runtime a material saved inside a package. Usually the good workflow is to make a copy of this material in memory at runtime and apply this copy back to the mesh. This way you only change the material in memory and let the material in the package intact.

This is because a material changed in a package doesn't get back to its default status until you restart the engine/game. I agree this is a bit silly in the case where you use a MIC+Matinee because you can't make this memory copy with kismet.

Anyway, if you are aware of this problem, you can obviously ignore it. You can disable the message by changing the default value of
    ; This is the startup state of the OnScreenDebugMessage system
    bEnableOnScreenDebugMessages=true

to false inside your DefaultEngine.ini file (do not edit BaseEngine.ini !).
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    ah sick, thanks!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Also, in the case where you cook and distribute your project (as a game package), the HUD debug/warning message are disabled.
  • tuxmask75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tuxmask75 polycounter lvl 10
    I found that moving the shader and mic into the level map's persistent level package seems to make the error vanish.