Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roman Demon General

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Goeddy greentooth
So i´ve been working on a new char for some time, and i thought its time to get some crits in here and share my progress so far.

Its some kind of demon general with lots of influences from roman armordesign. thought it fits with the whole imperialistic mindset and everything.

added a little making of the skin composition at the bottom.

thats his current status:
final_01.jpg

So this is my basic idea for the design right now, the spiky stuff will be some kind of fur or pelt hes wearing, like the legionaire wolfpelts.
its still in a pretty uncertain state, i may be changing the design of some parts, like the shoulder armor.
sketch2.jpg

here his sword, and the parts for his weapons belt.
swprd.jpg

and some bodyshots:
wip8.jpg
wip9.jpg
wip91.jpg
wip92.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If it's not too late for additional concept changes:

Wayne Barthalow's Inferno book may help.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    This need more UZI ... :D
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    now what fresh hell is THIS.
    thats gonna eat some days of more research, thx panda this is awesome!
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I agree, great link Panda, don't forget to read the back story behind this artist ...
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Wayne Barthalow's stuff always creeps me out in a good way. Right now I'm enjoying how bizzare the facial anatomy is turning out.

I know it's probably too early too crit but watch out for how thin those feet are. Maybe emphasize the slope of the foot from the inner to outer sides. (Totally forget the name of that damn slope if you know what I'm talking about) I usually save feet and hands for last myself =/
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so i´ve been plowing through barthalows inferno, and i am still not realy shure what to make of it, or how to implement it into the sculpt.
    i tried something more experimental with the horns, but they are kind of selfcontained so this was rather easy.
    with the armor and everything its a bit harder to implement all those weird designs, without completely throwing my original concept of balance.
    anyhow there is still plenty of room to abstract and improvise.

wip93.jpg
    wip94.jpg
    wip95.jpg
    wip96.jpg
    feet are still incoming, still have to do something with the shoes. they are kinda floating in the room right now.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so lp is kinda done, time to put this into the oven.
    lp01.jpg

lp02.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so the lp and baking are almost done.
    lp03.jpg
    lp04.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    some more progress. texture base has been laid down, now gon polish this to the max.
    except the skin, the skin is perfect imo.

lp05.jpg

lp06.jpg

lp07.jpg
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    I like what you've got so far, looks good. But what's currently hurting your model is the proportions, I wish i saw this earlier to leave a comment...

- its mainly his legs make them longer and he should look fine, and a more powerful general.

485w.jpg
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    The skin looks great. The texture on the cape is throwing me off. I think because the threads look very uniform in direction--diagonally? Like they are not flowing with the folds.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Looks quite cool, mind going over how you did the pants folds?
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    thx for the crits guys.

@luke
    i suppose its a bit late for this now. originaly i planned him to be not that serious, so i went for a bit more comical proportions, his head is also pretty large etc. didnt think he would turn out that evil in the end :D

@kmactastic
    thx, you are right about the threads on the cape. although i dont think they realy need to be aligned with the flowing direction it would give the cape propbably a more grounded look. if i havent collapsed the layers allready i will change that.

@frell
    thx :) with the folds its all about reference and knowing what fabric you want to imitate.
    just going in and sculpting in some folds like i feel ends up looking rather crappy, so i usually look at some folds on someone elses model i like, and gues wich fabric they could be made of and then google for real world references.

for this one i wanted the pants to be a bit wider and the cloth to be rather thick, something like jeans fabric.

as for the actual sculpting i recorded some progress of the shoes.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcCK03Npjvg&"]SHOES sclpt - YouTube[/ame]
    i block in the folds in a low subdiv mostly using the standart or dam standart brush. if you are blocking out the folds they start looking natural pretty quickly, if not i take a closer look at some more reference and redo them.
    after that its mostly just polishing on a higher subdiv with trim and smooth brushes.

also having some fixed points holding the cloth like belts etc makes finding believable angles for the folds a lot easier. just having freely hanging cloth like with this char makes finding a neutral position for the folds very challenging. for example sculpting the cloth for my last char was a lot easier.
    finzbr.jpg
  • SmilingMountain
    Offline / Send Message
    SmilingMountain polycounter lvl 7
    Looking pretty nice! Really dig the face and the skin. As others have mentioned I think the proportions have let you down a bit. For a character like this, I'd probably make the head smaller, as you mentioned, as well as enlarging the hands and feet, as that tends to make a character look more monstrous. Though you might not want to go down that route if you're going for more realistic proportions. It would also probably help to make the character taller as Luke_Starkie mentioned. Other than that I think what you've ended up with looks pretty cool.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for that write up Goeddy
  • shakeyyjakeyy
    Nice work, looks like a Qunari Male from the Dragon Age series.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Np frell.

thank you shakeyy, i realy love those, so yeah they were an imortant inspiration.

so i don´t know if i´ll maby go over the proportions. maby i´ll play around and look if i get something more epic out of them.

in the meantime, i gues i am rather finished with the rest:
    final_01.jpg
    final_03.jpg
    final_05.jpg
    final_06.jpg
    final_07.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so a lot of you guys like the skin, so i thought i give some insight in what it is composed of.

I used the marmoset skin shader with the dermis being white and an almost 100% red for the subdermis.
    scattering is 1.0 and subdermis depth is 0.4 no scatter smoothing.
    for translucency i gave him a saturated orange color, strength is 0.45 catching shadows.

skinmakingof01.jpg
    skinmakingof02.jpg