Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix - Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
NickGW polycounter lvl 7
I'm kinda late to this comp, but I really like Super Brothers so I thought I'd try my hand at interpreting it's pixel art style and tone into 3d. Started working on it this past Sunday so hopefully I can complete it by the deadline.

I chose a part from the end of the game (SPOILERS!) where the Scythian takes the Megatome and Trigon pieces to the summit and defeats the evil from Mingi Taw. I've made all the characters and key props so all that remains is to create the environment and maybe a few other things if I have time. Current progress and music from the game are linked below. Now time to get back to work!

WhirlingInfinite.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]9ce1ea377002417ebe470ad76b5491dd[/SKETCHFAB]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Gd7HUll_0"]Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP soundtrack - The Whirling Infinite - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    woah this is amazing so far, work fast!
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Yes please! Do it! It's looking great so far, can't wait to see more!! Interested to see how you tackle the environment.
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    Progress update on the environment side of things. Now that I have the larger parts of the environment complete it's just a matter of placing more of those rocks and stuff around. I'm gonna make the spike with a deers head on it and see about getting those glowing halo's before I tackle the rest of the rock placement. Once I'm done with that I want to try and create those areas of cool and light on the snow somehow so it's not all so uniform. Maybe I'll use floating decals or something.

If I have time I've been playing around with the idea that I'd have the path near the front loop around towards the lower back of the large landmass. In the area below I want to put a portion of the interior of Mingi Taw seen in the image below.

That's it for now, back to to work!

5570424971_9510f53af8_z.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]9ce1ea377002417ebe470ad76b5491dd[/SKETCHFAB]
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    Quick update again. Image only, but I got some of the transparency stuff working thanks to the ingenious solution Escalator came up with. I have these weird sunburst things at the moment, but now that I have smooth radial transparency working I can make the rings instead. deer skulls became candles to keep with the poly budget constraints for props. I also placed most of the rocks and adjusted the overall shape of the landmass so it wasn't too large where it didn't need to be. Only few Texture only shots from Modo's viewport for now.

No more work for now, time to sleep.

VGR_Progress_1.jpg

VGR_Progress_2.jpg
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    Well I just posted my submission to the thread so that's it for my entry. I got a lot more done than I expected to for only having a week to come up with something. If I had more time I'd add in Jim Guthrie playing his instrument and sitting below with the Archetype. I'd also create a few more details for the area below so it isn't so plain. I also wasn't able to get the transparency trick to work in Sketchfab so I sadly had to ditch it for my submission.

I hadn't done very much low poly/texture stuff or characters before and I gotta say it was a blast to do. Once I finish up my current portfolio project I want to return to doing some low poly stuff.

Just for fun here's what it would look like with the transparency and a version of the environment that I stopped working towards in the first few days. The sky, glow and Reflection are photoshop mockup stuff and the Scythian, ruins and grayish blobs on top are the 3d details.

Rend_3F.jpg

Rend_2F.jpg