Home General Discussion

RTS Game - How is it?

Hello, I am 15, and I really do enjoy RTS games. I have always been interested in video games, and making them.
One of my favorite RTS games is Age of Empires II, and I'm sure some other people feel the same way. This game really inspires me, it is a great game.
I have barely experimented on any game engine, just been lazy PLAYING games...
Has anyone ever made/helped in making an RTS game, how was it? Was it enjoyable? Difficult?
I have heard RTS games are one of the hardest games to make.
I would like to hear your experiences with making RTS games, or any games at all really...
What did you go to college for? For how long? Just interested...

Replies

• Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I have barely experimented on any game engine, just been lazy PLAYING games...

The greatest advice i could ever give you would be never to say you're lazy. If your excuse for not doing something is because you can't be bothered, you'll often find little help from people.

As for RTS development, check out Planetary Annihilation, the developers have been documenting the progress and design for the last year or so. They also have livestream's and Q&A's as well so you should check them out too.

Look for tutorials on programming a Any game, if you're not a artist, use basic models or media to represent them. The game mechanics are fundamental to any games success, so if there broke you'll just have a polished turd.

Honestly there's a vast array of game engines, tutorials, development logs, useable code etc available at your fingertips. It doesn't have to be a RTS right off the bat, search for simple side scroller tutorials and learn that first with the basics of programming. Then move to higher more complicated systems etc.

When you're really stuck, tried a lot, exhausted everything at your disposal then ask, you'll find a lot more responses :)

Not one to talk about american education but if you get the fundamentals down then you can pretty much do the rest in your own time. It's down to you tbh.
  • crimeny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://play0ad.com/community/participate/

Its an open source real time strategy game that started as a mod for AoE2 and then moved to its own engine. The projects goals attempt to follow in age of empires footsteps and to accurately portray ancient civilizations.