Home General Discussion

Unity 3D - Timeframe?

I work as a 3d generalist (mainly modelling, texturing, animation, rendering, pp etc) in advertising and arch viz. My experience in creating for games comes only from reading these forums and watching tutorials.

Recently a studio approached me requiring a 3d artist skilled in creating low poly models and putting them into Unity for realtime visualistion (not for games). These aren't highly detailed looking models, but rather simple and stylised.

I'm fine with the low poly bit, and I'm experienced in texturing and rendering for stills and 'offline' animation, but I do not have hands-on experience with a realtime render engine, and there is a lot that I don't understand about it.

My question is, what do I need to know, and how quickly could I get up to speed with that, and Unity 3D, to be valuable in the workplace?

Replies

• Axios
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Personally I found Unity to be the easiest of the engines I've used and I wouldn't sweat too much about it. There is a free version available that you could download and play around with if you want to get a feel for it.
  • Kevin Albers
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    As long as your fine with making low poly models, as opposed to never having to think about being efficient in terms of poly counts, you should be up to speed very quickly, I would guess.

If the project involves collision geometry (e.g. if there will be a character that moves around an environment, and needs to walk on floors and not walk through walls etc), that might be one area you would need to learn about. However, it's not an overly difficult thing to pick up.
  • Playdo
    Cheers for the advice (and for the link TJ). Good to hear that it should be an easy ride