Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Head sculpting with Zbrush

Hi guys, i'm currently trying to learn how to sculpt a head in Zbrush

these are the results of my latest sculpting
tUpPOqq.png?1
kmcBEwd.png?1
PHOrgAT.png?1

i usually sculpt from a basic sphere with a reference image, and i use dynamesh.

i'm aware that my sculpt is still far from decent, and if you guys have any feedback as to how i should practice sculpting or for my model above, i'm all ears :D

Replies

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    It would help you a lot if you kept it at a much lower subD to get the basic form locked down.
    I'd double check the anatomy as well. The eyes are too far to the sides, and the lips might not be wide enough either. Also the distance from the bottom of the nose to the top of the lip is too far as well.
    If you keep the subD lower and use the move tool to get your landmarks in place, you can start added some detail and you will notice you wont have as lumpy a sculpt either!
  • Shatterize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist wrote: »
    It would help you a lot if you kept it at a much lower subD to get the basic form locked down.
    I'd double check the anatomy as well. The eyes are too far to the sides, and the lips might not be wide enough either. Also the distance from the bottom of the nose to the top of the lip is too far as well.
    If you keep the subD lower and use the move tool to get your landmarks in place, you can start added some detail and you will notice you wont have as lumpy a sculpt either!
    You're subdividing way too soon. Whether you're drawing, painting or sculpting one of the most basic tenants is to start with the big shapes and slowly work your way down to the smaller shapes. Don't worry about it looking polygonal and blocky, that's fine. Just make sure you nail the large forms and the plains of the face before you move on.

Do some human skull and Asaro head studies before you go full boar at making an acutal human head.

headstudy_005.jpg

i did try to keep the subD to a lower level, however i just seem unable to sculpt the basic shape of the mouth, so i turned the subD up and didn't turned it down again, i'll try keeping the subD at the lowest when sculpting the basic shapes down next time :)

ill definitely try doing some human skulls, thanks for suggesting Asaro head, its seem to be a good reference for me to start sculpting :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Shatterize, I asked the board the exact same question awhile ago. Feel free to take a look at my thread. There are loads of advice gems in there.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122731

Ps. I work on mouth/lips much later, after I get most of everything else in already. Ear does come last in my book though.
  • Shatterize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Shatterize, I asked the board the exact same question awhile ago. Feel free to take a look at my thread. There are loads of advice gems in there.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122731

Ps. I work on mouth/lips much later, after I get most of everything else in already. Ear does come last in my book though.

woah i will definitely read that thread, cant believe i missed it :|
    in the end, did you use dynamesh for your sculpt ? you cant navigate between subD that way right ?