Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Remington 870 WIP

Here's a remington 870 I made this week for a personal project to show my growth.

I made this Ithaca m37 in January of this year. It was my first model I fully textured and the first time I ever made a normal/specular map. Before this I had no clue what they were lol

I followed Millenia's tutorial, it is an EXCELLENT tutorial and I cant explain how much I learned from it.

600270_4997746312738_837343881_n_zps7264000b.jpg

aaaand 6 months later I decided to make another shotgun, the Remington 870

screenshot3_zps174656d2.png

Personally I think the 870 came out a little better than the m37 but it needs a ton of work to be considered "done"
Im still slacking on material definition/texturing. I usually hand paint the entire texture (aside from the wood on the stock and pump)

Millenia even said texturing with shaders is all about trial and error. So Im still working out the kinks with the gloss/specular map.

Replies

• harricool
    great improvement...need more work on specular and gloss map..especially on wooden parts...as u said u were already working on it...keep going and all the best
  • tonyd927
    The wood was a bit confusing for me, because I wasnt sure if the grain would go into the spec/gloss..since it's usually coated. So I was aiming for a more "dirty" look to the wood.

Oh and since these renders, Ive made the side saddle darker, almost black..as it looks almost the same shade of grey as the receiver..

For what it's worth here's the specular and gloss maps
    Im already putting it into priority that for my next major project, I map it a little better by putting important details with more UV space.

specular_zps97e0f88d.jpg

and here's my gloss
    gloss_zps866c5c62.jpg
  • tonyd927
    To save UVW space, How can I map just one side of the receiver but have the texture on both sides?

Im assuming I cant overlap mirrored UVW's on the same space...how do I do this again?
  • tonyd927
  • RedRogueXIII
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    To overlap mirrored UVWs you offset one side by 1 in the normalized UV space (0-1), this way it is in the same place, but not - when the uv tile mode is set to repeat. Note: Object space normal maps will not work correctly when you do this.

I'd like to see a more defined wood grain pattern on the side of the stock instead of random approximations. - That isn't as important for a first person view but looks better as a portfolio piece.

Shotgun shells usually have rumples that could make nice interesting detail if you enlarged and exaggerated them.
  • tonyd927
    To overlap mirrored UVWs you offset one side by 1 in the normalized UV space (0-1), this way it is in the same place, but not - when the uv tile mode is set to repeat. Note: Object space normal maps will not work correctly when you do this.

I'd like to see a more defined wood grain pattern on the side of the stock instead of random approximations. - That isn't as important for a first person view but looks better as a portfolio piece.

Shotgun shells usually have rumples that could make nice interesting detail if you enlarged and exaggerated them.

Awesome. Thank you :)
    for future reference, moving the normalized uv space is done by the gizmo at the bottom left of the uvw editor right? I would just put "1" in the u, v, or w fields?