Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix - Darkstalkers pocket

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
clover_lawn polycounter lvl 4
One of my all time favourite games is the arcade 2D fighting Darkstalkers, by Capcom.

Amazing concepts and characters is what made me work on a version of it.( I'll give it a go to a more 'cute' spin to it though...I feel like it would fit the low poly topic)
There is a game called Pocket fighters that had a 'chibi' version of several capcom start on it, but it only featured a few characters.
I thought it would be nice to have a new spin on the original game but just with the original cast.

This is the first time I join a contest and that I fully do a lowpoly project, so apologies if it's not of the standards of most people. I'll upload my concept for my work soon. :)

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Damn I can't believe i forgot about them. :(

Awesome choice can't wait to see this one come to life!
  • clover_lawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So when I came with the idea I made some quick sketches to get started. :)
    It was hard to choose between all the characters, but eventually I chose Morrigan and Hsien-Ko (or LeiLei) as the main characters.

morrigan_zps59518f25.jpg

Hsien-ko_zpse7b16914.jpg

Two great characters that where also featured on Pocket Fighters, but I wasn't entirely happy with the 'comic/funny' aspects they ended up having.
    Anyway, for the environment I went for the obvious option, a graveyard.

scene_idea_zps3cf70502.jpg

At this point I've finish the modelling and done some basic texturing for the characters...hopefully I get enough time to finish all the textures the way I want them. :poly132:
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    cool concept :) loking froward for 3d
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    I love the concept!
  • Urzaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    Oh man, I love this concept and Darkstalkers' color palette would look so good in the lowpoly style.

Morrigan seems like she'd be pretty hard to do lowpoly, I wouldn't know how to go about it. Can't wait!
  • clover_lawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update with Morrigan and Hsien Ko's model. They're fully textured now, but probably will work more on them if I have time.
    They're also rigged and ready to pose :) the only thing I havent figure out is how to make the transparency work :( I'll update when I do...
    Morrigan was particularly difficult to model...

Morrigan
    [SKETCHFAB]a6785d2d599f4317a41584524b72131a[/SKETCHFAB]
    Hsien Ko
    [SKETCHFAB]d758813c4127455080ee89d7881d3228[/SKETCHFAB]
  • M4rt3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    i think if you separate the trasparent parts and make a material with the opacity map it will work. :)
  • clover_lawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I end up getting this nasty looking model for some reason :(
    There must be something I'm doing wrong...
    Untitled-1_zps79cb7315.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ^ Well depends on your Application but you should look into fliping your normals and unifying them. That is what this issue looks like to me that or you've added another file into the .zip <-- if you used this method that shouldn't be included.

Otherwise this is looking good, wish you could have taken on all of them. :)
    I know it is a big order but darkstalkers is so awesome.
  • clover_lawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I just discover how rubish I am to export files and get them working :-/
    So far I finish everything (the best I could do while working ridiculous amounts of hours at my job).
    This is the final arrangement for the graveyard. There are many battle grounds in the series, but I thought this would be more representative (and slightly easier to make)
    [SKETCHFAB]6d76f9eaccd54eaba5427776429c1b06[/SKETCHFAB]

I think I wont be able to submit the whole thing on time as I have this following troubles: (In case anyone reads it and can help me)
    -No matter how I export from Maya as an FBX I keep getting this off black squares related to transparencies...
    - what time is the actual submission london time? (I'm terrible with this time stuff)
    Hopefully someone can help me out in time for the submission if not at least I had fun giving it a try :)
    Also for the other participants: You're work it's amazing!!!
  • M4rt3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    ok, if you´re using maya you can try to select all faces and go to normals>set to face.
    for the transparency the best way for me was to apply a separate material to all the polygons with transparency (example: u combine all the branches poligons and apply to them the material with the alpha)

for the time gmt-4 means that 5:44 a.m. are 10:44 a.m. in london (london is gmt+1,)
    hope it helps and good luck :)