Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Human anatomy

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
I am learning zbrush and character modeling by myself and need some help and guidance regarding the anatomy and the aesthetics...
This guy is meant to be a viking.. I haven't clothed him yet.. I want to get his body right first..
Precise critique is much appreciated.. :)
6nbvNPC.png
AqiGJFZ.png
dLkjxYo.png
DlMfCpz.png

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Your first step should be to ditch the red wax shader in favour of one of of the neutral grey shaders. The Fast Shader is generally a good option. It'll make it far easier for us to see what you've done there and likewise easier for you to work on.

From there's I'd recommend grabbing yourself some nice clear photo reference and have a good look at how human musculature fits together. You're not a million miles away, but you do need a lot of finessing right the way across the model.
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Don't go into muscle detail until you get the basic forms down. By basic forms down, I mean the human body distilled into simpler geometric shapes that flow into each other in an interesting way that follows the flow of human anatomy.

Getting those forms and flow down is the biggest thing that separates the beginner from intermediate. No amount of muscle detail put on top of a bad basic forms will look good, instead it looks like some creepy "Thing" like monster that's wearing a human body as a flesh puppet and is just squirming under the skin.
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Your first step should be to ditch the red wax shader in favour of one of of the neutral grey shaders. The Fast Shader is generally a good option. It'll make it far easier for us to see what you've done there and likewise easier for you to work on.

From there's I'd recommend grabbing yourself some nice clear photo reference and have a good look at how human musculature fits together. You're not a million miles away, but you do need a lot of finessing right the way across the model.
    Vertrucio wrote: »
    Don't go into muscle detail until you get the basic forms down. By basic forms down, I mean the human body distilled into simpler geometric shapes that flow into each other in an interesting way that follows the flow of human anatomy.

Getting those forms and flow down is the biggest thing that separates the beginner from intermediate. No amount of muscle detail put on top of a bad basic forms will look good, instead it looks like some creepy "Thing" like monster that's wearing a human body as a flesh puppet and is just squirming under the skin.

Sorry for the extremely late reply! But as you guys suggested i checked out some tutorials and tried to get a grasp of the anatomy. I Hope this looks close to how it should look. I put the material to Basic Material 2. I still feel I might be going wrong in some places like the pectorals, obliques and back muscles... The bottom half is separate as I will be using it to form the pants over it. That is the only clothing that this guy will be wearing. Any useful critique is much appreciated! I would be glad if you could help me understand how the skin should be forming over his abs and obliques as that keeps troubling me.
    cbnsq9
    I hope he doesnt seem like a creepy monster underneath somebody else's skin! ;D