Home General Discussion

which is more important polygonal or sculpting skills?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
It's a question that wouldn't have been asked years ago. Today it seems that most characters go from concept to sculpting then down to a retopologised mesh. This is in contrast to the older days of low poly where it was concept to polygonal model and texturing was all hand painted.

In the game industry today are sculpting skills more important than polygonal modeling skills?

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Honest answer? It depends on too many factors.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I don't get the point of this topic. Why view them separately? It's all part of a creation process. Both have their place and you'll be a poorer artist for focusing entirely on one or the other.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    You still need both for the job, so if this is really a "which should i learn more of" then the answer is both. Poly work is essential to any pipeline, Sculpting is not. Take it however you want.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I disagree, they are getting as separate, as how 2d was to 3d. Take LA Noire for example, compare that to a Wii Zelda game - both 3d, yet with completely different philosophies.

The most important thing to remember is, how necessary is a sculpted item/object, to the required art style of the game that is being developed.
  • Count Vertsalot
    Both are equally important for now until the day where the technical stuff is just a button click and only artistic skill is required. We're still a ways off from that. Polygons are just the best solution right now, before that was sprites for games and NURBS for film. There could be a major shift to some other technology some day for all we know.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the feedback guys. My other option that I forgot to add was are they equally important. That seems to be a yes.

What drove this question is that since my return to 3d I've seen may tutorials on sculpting. However tutorials on the basics of edgeflow, loops and good lowpoly topology are very sparse. The wiki here is the resource that comes up most often during searches. This led me to believe that polygonal modeling skills were becoming secondary to sculpting skills.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    In my opinion, it depends on what your focus is or what company you're working for. Doing a mobile/Wii/stylized game most likely won't require a ZBrush pass, so you're limited to standard polygonal modeling. But if you're doing something on consoles/PC, most objects will go through ZBrush. I think the usual workflow for ZBrush is having a base model to start sculpting on, so polygonal modeling skills are still needed. I don't know of too many people that can do all of their models from scratch in ZBrush(yet).
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Learn everything. Be voracious. No excuses.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You're looking at this really sparsely, that's why.

The numbers of tutorials have increased over the past couple of years because of the number of programs during this generation as well the time we are in.
    Tutorials were much more rare if you look at the number of them available during the 90's and early 2K's, due the small number of tutorial companies and lack of proper internet sites like Youtube, where streaming with just yet a dream.

With time this changed, so we're getting more, it just happens to be during a time were Sculpting programs are the 'new' thing.

Secondly, there is the issues that sculpting programs have more to offer in terms of new features then traditional apps, for example, Max's biggest features in 2012/2013 was an Egg Spline, when compared with an app like ZB or Mudbox, we got something cool, like Dynamesh or high-end internal rendering systems, or even new age retopology tools that make the job easier for people to get into.

These were stuff that didn't exist in sculpting programs, and many traditional apps still struggle with the features they have, so naturally, a bunch of tutorials will pop up that try and to explain the new stuff that's cool, not the old stuff that is pretty shoddy in 2013.

Lastly, there is the issue of polygons, polygons never change, maybe the tools we use will change and their nature, but not the polygons, so what you learned a few years ago about hand painting and your good old poly-modeling in Max is going to be the same.
    There is going to be zero change, you might add some extra polies for higher end games, but once you know the basics, it's up to you to do the work, eyes, nose, ears, all those are you job, we're not going to have a tutorial every time someone makes a new animal and how to create the topology for that VERY specific case, that would mental.
    I disagree, they are getting as separate, as how 2d was to 3d. Take LA Noire for example, compare that to a Wii Zelda game - both 3d, yet with completely different philosophies.

The most important thing to remember is, how necessary is a sculpted item/object, to the required art style of the game that is being developed.

I disagree, you're in an industry that requires you know a specific set of skills within your field, if you're aren't going to bother learning the one and the other which are essentially the evolution of one and the other (like hardsurface and organic) then you have no place in the CGI industry as a whole.

It's more common for a 3D artist not to know how to texture then not know how to model a different element, although even in that case I don't approve of this laziness. No one is going to die if they learn more.

Art style isn't limited to knowing these stuff, style is only limited by your ability to execute it from you resources (and shaders if you plan on working them).
  • Count Vertsalot
    Right now if your job is to create a character you should know topology requirements through modeling, detail sculpting, UV mapping, texturing (including using flat polys for hair and other stuff), and it wouldn't hurt to know the basics of rigging and animation. You want to be able to hand off a character to the next guy that is ready to go. A rigger or animator isn't going to want to fix your topology to suit his needs because doing so will break the UV maps and cause other problems. Any problem will bring the production pipeline to a standstill and will probably get you fired if you do it enough times.
  • Toskineuro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toskineuro polycounter lvl 4
    I listened to a podcast with grassetti and he said that polygonal modeling/topology is very important to know, and in cinematics he made characters that were about only 20% of the work in zbrush, starting with the basemesh/topology very well estabilished, which is weird to me because sculpting first and doing the retopo later sounds much better than the oposite. I don't get it.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Everything is important, same way 2d and 3d should not be viewed as separate.

Whats more important, breathing in or breathing out? :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends a bit on specific discipline, if you're mainly a character artist, doing current-next gen work, you won't survive without good sculpting skills.

On the other hand, if you're doing props and hard surface stuff, weapons, vehicles, etc, sculpting is usually much less of a requirement, not to say it isn't necessary or helpful to know though.

Though this can vary heavily depending per project based on art style or any number of factors.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    You can't survive without good skills in either discipline
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Im more of a polygonal modeler than a sculptor, laziness and the fear of height is to blame in this.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator