Home Technical Talk

Maya - texture reload problem.

wizz
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wizz polycounter lvl 8
Hi.

I have weird problem while working on my textures in Maya and Photoshop.
Normally I make my texture in PS I click save texture and I switch to Maya to see results, so I press RELOAD button in files attribute tab.

Everything works fine but after few hours of working this way Maya eats amazing amount of memory and my computer works veryyyyy slowwwww. Everytime I have to restart maya and photoshop and the whole process repeats.

The question is why maya is eating so much memory after reloading my textures few times? Does it keep all previous textures loaded in moemory or what ?

I would be thankfull if you can help me to fight this problem.

Thanks and Cheers!

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Sounds like a memory leak.

Maybe try using a different file type?
  • wizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizz polycounter lvl 8
    Ark wrote: »
    Sounds like a memory leak.

Maybe try using a different file type?

Mainly I'm working with PSD files. Mayby thats the problem, what do you think ? These files are heave while having all layaers inside. But saving each time as tga for example is not comfortable.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    Yes, don't use PSDs for maya if you can avoid it, they are much larger files and Mental Ray doesn't like them much either.

Also, if you want a script to reload all your textures that you can put on your shelf without going into the material, here's the one I use:

{
    string $fnodes[]=`ls -type "file"`;
    string $fpath;
    for ($a=0;$a<`size($fnodes)`;$a++)
    {
    $fpath=`getAttr ($fnodes[$a]+".fileTextureName")`;
    setAttr ($fnodes[$a]+".fileTextureName") -type "string" $fpath;
    }
    }
  • wizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizz polycounter lvl 8
    OK. Thanks guys. I will see if this problem will appear when using other file formats. Thanks of the script.

Cheers!