Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BFG- Big Fuck*ng Gun

Replies

• Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking sick man! As seth said think about balancing out, I can clearly see you have a good grasp on modelling from the gun you've shown :)
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    The hard surfacing is making me weak at the knee's, awesome work.
  • EdHanley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EdHanley polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking really good! Reminds me of some of the weapons from Crysis 3. Keep it up, cant wait to see it finished!!
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great man
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for support guys :)

@seth: I'll definitely balance things out,Indeed not doing 3d while learning 2d will end up making me rusty on the 3d side for the time I learn to properly draw :poly141:
    So since my biggest "weak spot" as for now I think it is character modeling and anatomy,I'll start seriously with that,studying anatomy an drawing a lot of it,while doing those shapes in Zbrush,after a lot of that I should have got the drawing hand to attept doing my personal character/creatures concepts (I hope).
    That's the general guideline that I wish to follow,time will tell if it works :)
  • Strkl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little up,I'm almost done with the high poly :)

Today I have worked a bit the front piece and added glow in new spots.

Next I have to do the "magazine",properly insert the side handle into the weapon (without weird compenetrations), detail the cilinder under the main handle,detail the central cylinder on the side of the weapon,redoing the front cover cause the actual topology sucks too much,adding screws here and there anddddddddd.......after that I should have finished with the high poly :)

8lge.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,today I was doing an overpaint of the weapon as it is to decide the final details to put,the top image is the base and the bottom is the overpaint.

Now,I am totally not sure if this is adding or removing from the original,I placed that sticker thinking of it as a some sort of customization done by the user of the weapon,though 3 friends on Steam already saw it and told me that is looking bad and out of place,so I am really confused cause if I made it means that I am also failing on seeing that x_x

I could really use you guys opinion about the overall bottom image to better see what I am doing wrong here ^_^'

qi54.png
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work.
    The style is very similar to the plasma weapon style of X-Com, like it :)
  • WadeWT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    I like the few bits of colour you've added to the gun, but that sticker on the circle part sticks out in a bad way. Maybe keep the circle part all grey but bevel the symbol into it. It might even look better without anything and just keep the extra little bits of colour you've added.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,then is official,no sticker :)

4 different persons telling me the same thing is obvious you guys are right,I only hate the fact that I myself yet fail to see/realize it
  • citizen_j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    citizen_j polycounter lvl 13
    Some solid hard surface modeling. I didn't mind the sticker, atleast keep the 3 grey parts inside the circle. but hey, this one had nice ideas for the paint job, especially for the front part
    3xev.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lead was not fond of the painted stripes,so that why I had changed that :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,I'm back,time to finish this,starting with the retopology :)

6c0h.png
  • Geno527
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, this is so badass :D. I can't wait to see it in game ^^. (I'm just not a big fan of the orange paint)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Geno,if I stop playing Dota 2 ,it could be finished by tomorrow,but I think this is not going to happen XD

almost half retopology is done,4000 tris. I think this will go up to 8000-9000,still acceptable imo :)
    Btw,reason for many extra edgeloop is from preventing bad shading to happen,since I am modeling a lot out of a single mesh (all the central stuff,so handle zone excluded,is a single mesh) and I don't want 1000 uvshells,also because of many curves organic-like...I hope this will work out properly for an hardsurface piece!

vp7h.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is it, 12.100 Tris, just noticed now that I forgot a little switch,but not relevant toward the polycount.

I didn't wanted to have lots of compenetrating objects,so as you can see from the renders with colors,I attempted to keep low the number of elements,for instance all the centre of the weapon is a single big block,this will probably be more challenging during the setup of the cage in max,but I think it should give me a better/more uniform resoult,allowing me to unwrap bigger uvshell wich should work nicely with the organic kind of flow of lot of surfaces.
    Smoothing groups are just for preview sake,still need to set'em up

pp9p.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this is the unwrap,red is the overlap.
    If you don't hear of me anymore,I will be simply gone crazy in the attempt of texturing all this uvshells xD

iwcm.png
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Good luck texturing that haha. It is looking amazing right now though so keep it up!
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys,now I seriously need help to understand what's going on :shifty:

People says that we should activate Gamma&LUT correction inside max,I read about it,I don't have understand it but fine,I had it activated.
    Now,I wasted quite some time yesterday trying to understand why my normal weren't showing properly in 3dsmax Scanline render,I doublechecked that no uvshell was overlapped during the bake (as the image below shows) but still there were weird light behaviour.

So I have deactivated it,tried again and the render is perfect....so...what's going on?
    And most important,once and for all Gamma&LUT correction has to be on or off? X_X

0vi9.png
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    I'd say which ever setting best matches its appearance in the engine is the best choice.

Great design by the way.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Always turn off gamma/lut (and to be safe I always put in 1.0 instead of 2.2 in the boxes) if you are doing something with normal maps.
    Even just in general, unless you are doing offline rendering there isn't really a reason to have it on.

Looking forward to seeing this textured, and make sure you show a first person view screenshot, curious to see how that looks ^^
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here it is the low poly,with normal and ao.
    There are some minor artifact that require another bake to be fixed,other than that I am not really happy with the silouette of the front cover from the player perspective,wich looks low poly,and also the arrows on top of the 2 buttons wich looks flat,so for those I probably I fix the higpoly first to make them more visible in the bake.

zebi.png

6pdk.png
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThinkKlinck polycounter lvl 8
    Woah solid bakes on this dude, really good job. Cant wait to see it fully textured :)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing, I have to disagree with the flat buttons though, I think they'd pop out quite nicely once you get some kind of texture on it. It'd probably make sense to use a color that differs greatly from the rest of the weapon like green or red for example.
  • supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    Since this gun is mainly viewed from a first-person perspective I would recommend you putting some extra geo for the red-circled parts of the gun because it looks a little flat when seen close-up(basically reiterating what you said). That part is where the player will see the gun most.

If you are using handplane for your normal generation u could use just add those on your geo without needing to rebake the entire thing

Awesome job on the bake on a complex object, looking forward to see you texture this bad boy!

2MvzYNR.jpg
  • Geno527
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, this is awesome Marcus. I can't wait to see the textures :D !
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oficially starting the texturing now xD

I am slow,I know (curses on dota 2 >_<)

Just a preview for fun using realtime Xoliul shader (the previous image was a render),I am just starting defining the masks for the different materials.

Question: there is a way to turn on AA in max 2012 while using dx9 mode?

3ld1.png
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    My only thought is a gun this large, with rotary autofire, would definitely need some form of support more than just both hands - a 'steadicam mount' or something. But I'm too late for said suggestion, so just feel free to ignore me. :D
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's actually quite true x_x

But at this stage would be insane to go back and study some other kind of support method and redo everything,so I conveniently justify it in this way: the blue glowing stuff you see is a special kind of plasma wich is not bounded to gravity rules,it actually fights those,so the weapon beign filled with it almost levitate in the air, plus the conveniently made up advanced low weight materials, this weapon almost hold itself at midair :D
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    wow i missed this, awesome work!
  • Yuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    The bake came out beautifully, top notch high poly work there.. looking forward to the material work!
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    Really awesome! Can you make the gun bigger?... looks a little small right now.. jk (: Keep it up!
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx guys,I'll try to do my best and I'll also try to learn how to do decent textures with this piece :)

(note:screen below has parts with no gloss or spec and also where there are,those are wrong...so is only to show the decided basic color palette.)

I need to ask you guys about a problem/doubt I have right now.

I was texturing using photoshop and max + Xoliul shader for the preview and the resoult was looking good,but then when I imported it into marmoset to see how it looked in there, I got a totally different resoult...and now I am lost...
    I think it is because marmoset is probably more accurate,so the specular actually don't give you just the reflection of the light but it reflect all the hdr image around the scene...or something like this.
    So parts that looked good inside 3ds max,now reflect almost like a mirror (I tuned it down a lot in the screen below) and my question is: I have to "trust" xoliul shader or marmoset in determining all the specular and gloss colors in relation to each other?

I am very confused,help please x_x

g25x.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Not sure if it's a hover bike, or a gun, but I like it.
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    Great looks, but imo BFG must be with green glows
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was painting a pass of scratches on the white parts,that I decided to do as metal with white paint on top,but I don't have idea yet what the green metal should be,do you guys know something that I could use a reference for it? :P

xkf1.png
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately I can't help out with any reference but this looks amazing, can't believe I missed the updates!

I'd buy any game that would allow me to use this beast haha.