Home Unreal Engine

Material ID limit?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
olivierth polycounter lvl 9
Hi,

I've got a character with 8 material ID in 3ds max and they all have the same multi/sub material applied to them before export. When I get into UDK all I have is 6 ID.

Is there a limit of IDs?

Thanks.

Replies

• olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to export 2 objects (guns) as a separate .fbx to solve the mat ID but I still get the same problem.

I made sure both guns have different mat ID and they have a multi/sub mat applied on both but once I get in UDK, there's only one element I can assign a mat to....

Any idea why?
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Make sure that in Max the order of materials in the sub object mat is not changed. So it must be 1 2 3 4 etc, and not 1 4 3 2 etc. as Unreal won't handle that well.
    Go over all names in Max, make sure the names of maps and slots are unique. If duplicate maps and materials between materials in Max they can end up having the same name, and this will confuse Unreal. For example Map #454 could exist twice. So verify the names.

Unreal may strip material slots not actually used on the mesh these days.
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips, I'll check those later.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Weird...I've been able to import objects with like 13 materials before... but that was Maya, not max. the key thing in that case was to make sure each material had a unique name AND a unique TEXTURE applied. It would ignore simple lambert shaders applied if they had no diffuse texture.
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have always done it without using any textures in max, just different colored materials. I'll test the texture thing later since I'm on another project right now.

Thanks.
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great! It works now. The problem was that 2 of the materials had the same name. I can comfirm that you don't need to add different textures to make it work.

Thanks for all the help!