Home General Discussion

Indie shooter 'ORION: Dino Horde' receives MASSIVE Jungle-themed update!

We've been working extremely hard on the 'ORION' game series since it's first original (read: horrible) release with 'ORION: Dino Beatdown' on Steam back in May 2012. We fell short on delivering what we needed to and from that day on we started work on the spiritual sequel, 'ORION: Dino Horde' which was a game immensely larger, more detailed, more polished and simply put: exactly the experience we wished we could have delivered the first time out. Not only this but we gave it for free to EVERY owner of Dino Beatdown as a digital apology / thank you letter:
http://spiralgamestudios.com/post/48053908330/orion-dino-horde-now-on-steam

We extremely proud of 'ORION: Dino Horde' and we have committed to massive (and free) DLC Packs starting with the Jungle DLC which is out now! With this release we have revisited every aspect of the game and buffed it up as well poured insane amounts of new content into the game (Persistence!).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oAQfhyLkGI"]'ORION: Dino Horde' Jungle Launch Trailer (ft. IAMDYNAMITE) - YouTube[/ame]

We truly hope that you take a quick moment and check out all of these changes, additions and the overall experience as we believe you and your friends will have a kick-ass time!

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I know Orion and Prassel are a highly controversial topic here, folks - so I'd like to say this before the thread gets dogpiled:

In the time that I worked for David, while he is stubborn and a hard-charger, he was a great guy to work for. He treated me like a human being instead of a disposable commodity and paid me what he promised when he promised it. I also never saw him abuse or mistreat anyone on the team. Argue with? Yeah, for completely valid reasons. Abuse or exploit? Not once. There's a LOT of freelance gigs and clients I've suffered through that couldn't hold a candle to that.

For what it's worth.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    I know Orion and Prassel are a highly controversial topic here, folks - so I'd like to say this before the thread gets dogpiled:

In the time that I worked for David, while he is stubborn and a hard-charger, he was a great guy to work for. He treated me like a human being instead of a disposable commodity and paid me what he promised when he promised it. I also never saw him abuse or mistreat anyone on the team. Argue with? Yeah, for completely valid reasons. Abuse or exploit? Not once. There's a LOT of freelance gigs and clients I've suffered through that couldn't hold a candle to that.

For what it's worth.
    I'm not sure why you're including this since;
    A) No one every complained about studio abuse, inside or out
    B) All the complaints are about the game as a product, commercially
    C) Alot of people pay what they promise, no need for confirmation bias
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    No, there were definitely complaints about David not paying developers. Hit the forum search.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks wrote: »
    No, there were definitely complaints about David not paying developers. Hit the forum search.

This is what I was addressing. All I'm saying is that I did not witness anything remotely like those accusations.

The game, however, has to stand on its own review-wise. :poly136:
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 wrote: »

For what it's worth.

If you want to leave the drama behind you, it would be a good idea to not bring it up in EVERY SINGLE POST ABOUT THIS GAME.

It looks really bad when the FIRST reply for this thread is someone already trying to cover your ass about some bullshit I'm sure you'd like to move on from.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looks like it has the possibility to be fun, the reviews were brutal originally. trailer is a bit long and drawn out and also the song choice was horrible and unfitting. might be worth a look if there is a demo availiable.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Lol, I saw TB play the original of this .... Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Can't believe people actually payed for the game.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtlusZMH wrote: »
    If you want to leave the drama behind you, it would be a good idea to not bring it up in EVERY SINGLE POST ABOUT THIS GAME.

It looks really bad when the FIRST reply for this thread is someone already trying to cover your ass about some bullshit I'm sure you'd like to move on from.

:: shrug :: I only recall mentioning it twice - here and one other thread here where people were screaming for Prassel's head because of the old reddit thread.

I haven't worked for Spiral for almost 18 months now, so it's really no difference to me.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    outside of all of the politics and everything...

evidence from that video shows that the game just looks... bad?

graphically the colour palette seems to be all over the place. there are too many colours in too many places and it looks a little unhinged as a result.

gameplay wise, it just looks like a standard fare first person shooter with dinosaurs, essentially a modern Turok multiplayer... except that graphically it doesn't even look like an advancement of the 2008 game of that name.

so it begs the question... what have you guys been doing in all of this development time? nothing new or unique has been developed. you could have thrown everything into UDK and run with pretty much the basic FPS shell that comes with it.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    outside of all of the politics and everything...

evidence from that video shows that the game just looks... bad?

graphically the colour palette seems to be all over the place. there are too many colours in too many places and it looks a little unhinged as a result.

gameplay wise, it just looks like a standard fare first person shooter with dinosaurs, essentially a modern Turok multiplayer... except that graphically it doesn't even look like an advancement of the 2008 game of that name.

so it begs the question... what have you guys been doing in all of this development time? nothing new or unique has been developed. you could have thrown everything into UDK and run with pretty much the basic FPS shell that comes with it.

I have no idea what they've done in the last year and a half. I don't think anything I made is even still in the game. David likes to tear things out and put other stuff in constantly.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the question wasn't aimed at you.