Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hitman Absolution environment

shadacer
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
shadacer polycounter lvl 6
Hey all, I'm one of the newer members of Polycount, and I'm trying to tighten up my environment skills so I can produce something worthy enough for a portfolio.

After completing my last project, I came to the conclusion that it was too quick and unimpressive, and I wanted to put to use some of the lessons learned during its creation to a bigger and longer project that looks the part. So I was trolling the threads and decided to set myself this enviro, for a two-month deadline.
WKJoaVY.jpg

Here's a quick and dirty paintover of the key assets the scene requires. As for game engine, I was thinking UDK.
3AMBM6g.jpg

Replies

• GenericGoodGuy
    Looking forward to your progress.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really high ceiling in the concept but yeah really nice concept to start making something awesome out of :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your support guys, it really motivated me!
    Today I started by blocking out and unwrapping the meshes. No textures yet and the UTGuard is there for height reference.
    r1UJE56.jpg

I hope to add more tomorrow, but I find modeling/unwrapping first and then getting stuff into a scene serves as a much better motivator.If you can see anything immediately wrong, crit away :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. Procrastinated a bit today, but I made some windows, pipes, and skirting boards, as well as some other furniture, unwrapped it and threw it in there. Tomorrow I'll add some more blockouts and maybe begin texturing.b9ykkZW.jpg
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Nice progress man! Are the meshes Normal map'd and AO'd?
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, that's just the Lighting Only viewport in UDK. I figured this was more coherent than the checker texture over everything :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another progress shot. Had to be places today, so only got around to making a computer monitor, noticeboard and an office chair. Also threw some textures on the BSP floor.OT3kskW.jpg
    Considering using Image-based reflections on the floor to mirror the concept floor's reflective properties. Thoughts?
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    excellent concept choice and your modeling is looking great- :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's update. I textured the columns/support trims today, and added some extra meshes. I'm dissappointed at the quality of my bakes from my sculpts, so I'm most likely going to re-do them at some point.iqoXT7n.jpg

Tomorrow I will texture the filing cabinets and add more stuff to the enviro.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Added in two textures for the desks and filing cabinets, and messed about with lighting some more. The geometry of the desks needs to be changed a bit on reflection, as it is hanging a bit too low.
    rqFM1x0.jpg
    Tomorrow, I'll texture the ceiling pipes and add more meshes to the scene. Crit away as usual, every little help makes it better.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe it's the FOV, but the concept seems to be longer in both directions of the room. I think there's too much of the wall and filing cabinets showing on the left side too. I'm not sure if you're trying to follow it exactly, those were just things that stuck out to me the most while going back and forth between the concept and your latest shot. Everything is looking nice so far, but the lighting is a little too bright/saturated. I think one thing that might be difficult to nail is the vibe of the concepts- to me, it seems very antique, which could be mostly from desaturated colors and bland walls.

Looking forward to seeing more though! :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Leleux, I took it into consideration, desaturated the scene and brought the wall behind the watercooler in a bit more.

Mz0PCou.jpg

Also threw in a pedal bin and a desk lamp, as well as some base textures on the ceiling pipes. I'll do more tomorrow.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The colors definitely look a lot better! Look forward to seeing more progress :thumbup:
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WI84WJ9.jpg
    Did more on it today. added the TV/stand meshes, and textured some other stuff. Currently struggling to get good shadows on the ceiling, will play around with it a bit more.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Delete all your lights, no directional. Place ambient light(global), this will be your darkest dark (ceiling color). I can't remember if UDK has ambient, global light? It's been awhile....anyway.

Scene should look pretty dark overall(attempt to match the dark color of the ceiling in the concept art in the same area)....then it's just a matter of placing your point/spot lights from your light sources (yellowy brighter lights). It's always easier when you light in reverse, most people start with their lights instead of the other way around.....just like a good under painting, those darks are hard to put back in.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RtKAT5T.jpg
    Thanks PixelTron for the tip, I was able to make much deeper shadows thanks to that!
    As a result, the scene looks much better now. I added in some more blockin meshes today, such as the keyboards, the printer and mugs. Lighting's not 100% but it's definitely getting there now. I also redid the texture of the lights, as they were flat and very hastily done. For the rest of today though, I shall continue blocking in/texturing. Will update later. Crit away :)
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great progress man-- on the side note, u know that I looked at the concept art, it appears the concept is flipped horizontally? look at the signs and the posters. My best guess it looks better composition wise? but other than that- carry on :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's update, been away from home for a couple days so just got round to finishing the blockouts.
    L5avt49.jpg
    Yeah Serrife, I realised this, but i came so far that I decided to just keep going. I'm considering adding some shut office windows to the piece as an extra, as it feels a little too boxed in. Will continue on to texturing.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's update - not a tremendous amount of change. The tables and whiteboards have their textures, and aside from general asset placement not much else.P8GczPc.jpg
    Crits all welcome.
  • dan.sonley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dan.sonley polycounter lvl 6
    looking awsome matt as always! although you might want to add a few more poster meshes in or something just to add some variance to them
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1O3ha45.jpg
    Thanks for the feedback Sonley, will do it once the bigger assets are textued and done.
    Latest update: still fiddling about with the lighting, got some much deeper shadows because my spotlights had too big a radius and that was killing the shadows in front of the divider. I textured the computer parts, redid the chairs and other tweaks. Just need to texture some more assets and the fun of composition begins. Crits welcome, especially on the lights.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    really enjoying this thread. just played through this level last week i think.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Really love the progress you're making with this, it's looking really great :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Some weird stuff going on with some of the light meshes, other than that no crits really. Much respect for the load of props ur making here :) Can't wait to see the final!
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer wrote: »
    Today's update, been away from home for a couple days so just got round to finishing the blockouts.

Yeah Serrife, I realised this, but i came so far that I decided to just keep going. I'm considering adding some shut office windows to the piece as an extra, as it feels a little too boxed in. Will continue on to texturing.

Hey don't worry about it-- I was just being quirky- I was more curious of why the concept artist did it that way :B
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ROPzYKl.jpg
    Thanks for your support guys, I'm not an experienced artist by any means!
    Here's another shot from down the hall. Today I added a couple more things and tweaked the lights, considering going beyond the concept and adding trailing wires, coffee machines and the lie as I feel the scene lacks variety. If anyone has any ideas on a frosted glass shader in UDK, I'd be forever grateful.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Looks amazing! That ashtray is enormous though :P
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    I believe there's a distortion input in unreal for refraction effects like for example frosted glass. Good work so far, we're following you here at IO (no pressure :p)
  • silver_hoodlum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    This is coming along nicely, keep the flow and looking forward to final lighting
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking really nice. Has a LA Noire feel to it too.

One thing that is distracting to me is the amount of those 'Reward' posters around. Seems a bit too repetitive. I'd suggest mixing those up a bit for the final piece, different colours, layouts, sizes etc :)

Other than that, great work :D
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much everyone, and I'm massively flattered that Imperator is interested in my work. I'll make it as polished as I can!

yN0vO6g.jpg
    Today's/yesterday's work. I textured the lamps and paper piles, and added a couple more meshes. The windows looked really out of place until I put some venetian blind meshes over them; this way it's more justified that the office would be lit only by the striplights from the ceiling.
    dRU6tXx.jpg
    I added some distortion to the material of the frosted glass, will still have to tweak it though. I altered the opacity and tinted it blue for now. My main focus will be to fix those awful lightshafts, which will be my next goal. As for those Reward posters, what can I say, it's a busy station....but in all seriousness I will make a different texture set that reflects the documents in the concept. I'll keep you posted :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two-day update. I've been away from home for a night and a day, but I fixed some things.
    LiOjnFp.jpg
    I added a fibre texture sample to the lightshafts and generally tweaked the shader and the results look much better. I'll eventually add the trailing dust motes to the shader to emulate the concept more.
    I also textured the computer chair today. I made the highpoly in Max and took that into ZBrush and then XNormal for the baking. Here's a shot of the highpoly chair.fHoX4nL.jpg
    The texture is not finished, though, will probably do more to it. Tomorrow, I will make tweaks and add more stuff, and also change the shape of the computer chair to be more rounded. Crit away, be as mean as you like :)
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the light shaft strokes, I'd try to go more broad and simpler like in the concept. But it's also one of those details that probably looks better as a 2D painting than in 3D, so you may be better off with just the generic soft light beams. Either way, the light beams you have now seem more like water from the fire sprinklers. :poly124:

The chair is looking nice though. Can't wait to see the texture.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    the light shafts i actually misread as some sort of sprinkler system. id just keep it pretty solid with a low opacity, and toss some floaty dirt bits in there to break it up a bit.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UW3Rwuh.jpg
    Today, I changed the light shafts as per Oniram's advice, and added some more textures. The desk fans looked terrible with geometry for the slats/cage, so I masked them instead and it looks far better.
    Any advice? I'm currently struggling to light the room in the background, as the bloom of the lights is tough to replicate.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit of an image dump today. I textured the office plant (I made it an elephant leaf, a simple plant) but didn't sculpt it. I also textured the blinds on the windows, redid the lighting and tried a new post-process effect to bleach the scene and emphasise the shadows more. I also changed the shape of the desk fan to better match the concept. My progress is coming along nicely :)
    HeKy2Zx.jpg

bkVjyid.jpg

And the inner room, which is a large office area I decorated with the previous assets:
    iysvCty.jpg
    Things to do/change:
    Texture the assets. The most important one to come next is the TV.
    Re-sculpt the column trims, they look quite bare and could use some spicing up.
    Consider adding more assets, including skybox assets and other office supplies.
    Critique, as always, is readily appreciated. Be as harsh as you like :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    QeRZxjg.jpg
    Quick update. I added some more textures, fixed the high specular of the floor and altered the lights to try and make the back room more like the concept. I also added a fire extinguisher mesh blockouts to add more variety to the office.
    As usual, critique is appreciated.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Looks awesome. For some reason the images have a lot of grain in them.

Are you doing high poly bakes for all the models? Or just a select few?
  • Inkalicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like Hayden said there is a lot of grain on the images. It makes it kind of hard to see whats what. I also agree on the light shafts looking more like water is spraying down. Maybe make them a bit more transparent. Also I think the floor is too glossy. Maybe spice it up with more dirt, scuff marks, and cracks here and there. Looking tho otherwise. :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f6AIpng.jpg
    Thanks for the advice guys, I took it into account and toned down the shafts. Today, I added some ring binders and made some adjustments to the meshes, particularly the dividers as the end tables weren't long enough. The ring binders share a texture with the folders, as I'm trying to cut down on files by combining textures into one sheet.
    Nc2AduN.jpg
    I tried tweaking the lighting to make the level brighter....with mixed results. Do you think it was better the way it was? Crit away!
    P.S. The grain was a post-process effect. I like messing around with them sometimes.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k94nWsc.jpg
    Quick update: I added the TV textures and a office phone asset to the scene, still can't get the lights the way i want them however. I also started the frosted glass shader using a stronger distortion map. Still lots to do and change here and there, but the bulk of the work is done. I decided in the end that the lighting was too bright in that last shot, so toned it down a bit. As usual, anything look wrong, be it an asset , light, anything, crit away :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On second thoughts, the lighting in the concept was way brighter. Will change it tomorrow.
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work shadacer, really inspiring. I think I started my piece after looking at this a couple of days ago.
    Anyways for the crits. What jumped at me right away was the green divider. It almost comes off too blurry compared to the rest of the scene. Think about maybe not having that white wear in the middle and instead maybe try to spend more time on the spec. I can see clear specs as in polished wood in the concept and your wood looks sort of dull and blurry. Also the police logo on that same divider seems to stand out too much. Maybe make it slightly transparent. Also you might want to tweak your lights there, the small divider beside that green table looks very well lit, and yours looks dark.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback 3DVlad, will put it to use and post an update tomorrow :)
  • Ranko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranko polycounter lvl 4
    This is looking awesome,I think all the individual assets look good but I would work on the overall presentation a bit more. I would add some type of ambient occlusion (baked or done via udk) also some bloom around the light sources. The other thing that catches my eye is the floor,the reflection map looks too sharp to me.. I would blur it a bit more, those types of floors typically don't reflect that strongly especially since you are going for a more dirty look. You could also use the glass windows for some potential back lighting.. This whole thing could look way moodier creating a bit stronger atmosphere.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z9H1o9z.jpg
    I modified it a bit using you guys' advice. I have ambient occlusion and bloom added to the scene now, but one of the problems I have is getting the shadows to bake properly on the conduit/wall on the right. I want it to look like thisVCf8ulF.jpg.
    Any advice? Gonna try and finish the textures this weekend if possible for the assets.
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Everything is coming along nicely shadacer!
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JfcaGCG.jpg
    fixed some textures, adde ceiling clips and changed the pipes, and added skybox stuff; just a couple of adjacent office blocks. From the concept, only the printer remains to be textured, but I'm going to redo the column supports in ZBrush (even in the concept, they look a little boring), and texture the other miscellaneous stuff in the office.
    Critique and comments, no matter how harsh appreciated.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JfcaGCG.jpg
    Added skybox offices, tweaked a few textures, not much left on the texturing front aside from the other assets I added. I also tweaked the lighting, gonna work on some bloom coming off the lamps on the desks at least. Any critique, good or bad, appreciated.