Home Technical Talk

UDK Saving issues driving me nuts

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
AGarton polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I've been having a bunch of issues related to packages and saving in UDK and I'd really appreciate some help.

First, I can't save packages in the Content Browser. I always get the message "cannot save from browser".

Next, when I reload my levels after saving, UDK seems to keep certain assests and completely forget others, with no option to reload/reimport. Which assests get kept and discarded seems completely random; some are placed in the level and some are just simple materials, etc.. but it makes no difference.

I always save my assests'n'packages in the content folder.

My OS is Windows 7.

My average set up looks like this:

C:>UDK>UDK2009-2011>UDK Game>Content>Maps>Maps>MyLevel01>
MyLevel.udk
MyLevel.upk
/Assets
/Mesh
/Texture

I'm trying to build showreel work right now but I'm having to spend significant amounts of time reimporting and subsequently rebuilding assets. It's a bit infuriating.

If anyone could give me some definitive answers as to a proven save structure or any ideas on why things aren't working it'd be very much appreciated!

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I had this problem recently when I started. It solved itself when I decided to just create a new level, import an asset (texture/mesh) save the level+package with a new name in the Maps/MylevelName folder.

I have no idea why it actually does it, and I hate UDK for being so dumb to work with at times with such a strict structure you need to work in for it to load your stuff properly.
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    The reason is that you are supposed to name your map and package differently. With both having the same name (.upk or .udk does not matter here) you'll either get an error message on startup or your assets are located inside the map file which you can't save via the content browser (but via the main menu bar).
  • AGarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGarton polycounter lvl 9
    Okay that's great, thanks guys! So saving the map and package under seperate names before starting is the trick? That's going to make things a lot easier, cheers!