Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix - Mass Effect

So I knew right off the bat that I wanted to do something with Mass Effect. It's my favourite sci-fi series, with a wonderfully vibrant universe and a memorable cast of characters. Perfect, then, for a diorama.

I haven't quite settled on a final idea yet, but right now I'm envisioning a familiar turn of events from the first game: being ambushed by a thresher maw after evacuating the Mako to investigate something on the Martian surface of a (mostly) barren planet. I think it would make for a really nice looking scene and it would give me the opportunity to have some creativity with how the characters are posed and how everything is spaced out.

Since the specific details aren't nailed down, I decided to start with the first asset that will definitely be present in the final scene: default male Commander Shepard (maybe I'll do a female Shepard if I have time at the end). I found a DeviantArt page (http://troodon80.deviantart.com/journal/Mass-Effect-References-271231237) with some really useful reference renders of a whole bunch of characters, items, and vehicles. Here is an early WIP just to get the ball rolling...

0wuqR3K.jpg

It's a little too detailed at the moment in some places, but I'll go back and optimise it once the mesh is closed up. More progress soon!